Russell Brand calls George Bush a 'retard' at MTV awards

I have some political cartoons of Abe Lincoln that are not too flattering that were drawn by British cartoonists like this one:

Yeah, but the authors did not parade them around at The Gettysburg Address.

Are You kidding? they would have loved to had they the opportunity. Only problem was either they were either in the South or in the UK.

Russell Brand is a celebrity presenter who has recently made a splash with his zany style. He is a recovered drug addict ; intelligent and vulnerable, or so it has seemed. A short time ago he made public dodgy innuendo regarding himself and Rod Stewart's daughter. The next time he presented an awards show, Rod Stewart jumped up from his seat and challenged him on the subject; needless to say, Brand beat a hasty retreat. As for his comparison between British and American leaders; absolute rot. Remember what has been said " Britain is great; the British are great. Only their politicians stink". Add one stupid presenter. The political pretentions of these idiots never cease to make me sick.

He has been well accepted in Hollywood recently for small film parts, and looked all set for fame.

What the hell he has been up to, in the country which has welcomed him , completely defeats me.

He has lost all of my respect and can only apologise for the fact that he is English. What an absolute prat, what a giant overblown ego, with a head to match. I hope his career in USA submerges fast.

Del Boy, old son, you'll get over it.

Oh, I'm over it Eroll believe me, I have bigger fish to fry every minute of the day. Remember this is a forum - you know, where you express things.
It's just that this guy has been a favourite of mine, resurrecting his career etc., and then I see him stooping low for a real cheap laugh, which leaves a sour taste for any self-respecting Englishman.

Anything for publicity no matter the price to others - Naah , not for me.
Nothing to get over, just apologizing to America, Republican and Democrat, for such poor taste, and letting them know it is not representative of the English, just one of them being a Prat. He has books new to the market to promote, for example 'My Bookie Wookie' - enjoy! Ha. He looks for fame and fortune in USA ; appreciative ain't he.

Oh, and by the way, for the record - he isn't actually a comedian, more of a funny guy presenter.

OK forgotten. Nuff said.:wink:

I think it just boils down to the fact that there is a time and place for all things.

In this case, his information may well have been correct, but his choice of time and place was poor.

It's just that this guy has been a favourite of mine, resurrecting his career etc., and then I see him stooping low for a real cheap laugh, which leaves a sour taste for any self-respecting Englishman.

Anything for publicity no matter the price to others - Naah , not for me.
Nothing to get over, just apologizing to America, Republican and Democrat, for such poor taste, and letting them know it is not representative of the English, just one of them being a Prat. He has books new to the market to promote, for example 'My Bookie Wookie' - enjoy! Ha. He looks for fame and fortune in USA ; appreciative ain't he.

Would you expect people to apologise to England, Labour and Conservative for all the shots people take at the Queen, Royal family, Margret Thatcher or Tony Blair?

No offense here but taking shots at leading figures in other countries is a many way street I hardly see this any different, for example I watched an episode of Rove (the Aussie funny guy) last night when he did a thing on how Sarah Palin must be a nice woman because she takes her grandfather with her everywhere she goes (with reference to McCain).

If we start down this line of reasoning the worlds communications lines will be flooded with apologies within seconds.

Here's another view from England.

It would be wrong to say I've never heard of Russell Brand, more's the pity.
I did see him once, on Have I Got News For You, making a fool of himself trying - and failing - to upstage that true comic genius, Paul Merton.

Goodness knows how he got a gig hosting an awards ceremony in America. Even Obama supporters don't want to hear their President trashed by a foreigner.

He tried to raise a laugh by claiming he had 'taken the virginity' of a young member of a group called the Jonas Brothers (of whom I haven't heard).
Where did he get the idea that telling a joke about sodomising a 15-year-old boy was going to go down a storm?
Still, that won't stop Brand being feted back home, which tells you all you need to know about the state of British comedy.
Instead of trying to upstage Paul Merton, he should have watched, listened and learned. Merton is clever, funny and above all - on TV - clean.
All the things Brand will never be.

(Richard Littlejohn.)

Last edited:
I am - but obviously Richard Littlejohn is not. Both of us will move on, having apologized to USA for this crass idiocy.

Would you expect people to apologise to England, Labour and Conservative for all the shots people take at the Queen, Royal family, Margret Thatcher or Tony Blair?

No offense here but taking shots at leading figures in other countries is a many way street I hardly see this any different, for example I watched an episode of Rove (the Aussie funny guy) last night when he did a thing on how Sarah Palin must be a nice woman because she takes her grandfather with her everywhere she goes (with reference to McCain).

That is funny and not offensive. And i assume he said it in Australia anyway.

I would hate to think of the response if a foreigner turned up on Australian national television and slagged off Australia, or how about in New Zealand even. And don't tell me that those citizens are not sensitive regarding such matters.

Some things are acceptable and some just stink. What I would expect from others has no bearing on the matter - I found an apology was required because it reflected on us here, and I for one wanted out, no question.

Just to make sure I summarized this thread correctly - Whether something is insulting or not is based upon...the quality of the humor? And then, who decides how good or bad the joke is?

I will grant that I did not look at this thread fast enough to catch the youtube video, apparently it was take down. But everyone's idea of humor is different.

Post 28 will give you an indication.

My point was not that some people found it distasteful, which is obviously true. My point was if you claim something is insulting based on how humorous it was, the likelyhood is you will not get universal agreement on that.

So we are back to personal opinion. Some people may find it offensive and attack him for it. Some may think it is humorous. So is he a dumb **** as said in the OP? I dont know, depends on whether you find it funny.

Back