Run!

ComsDown

As a fresh recruit in the Norwegian Army, we had just mastered the art of killing paper targets from 200 meters with our AG-3 assault Rifles (HK G3-A3), and were now deemed fit to try our hands on "pop-up" targets while walking along a path.

Our instructor wanted to dramatize things a bit, spark our imagination a bit so he gave us a speech, something like this:

"You are the point man of the entire division. Behind you is your squad, followed by your platoon, company, batallion, brigade and division. But you are number one. You will go up that path, find the enemy, and kill him!"

And with that I was given a slap in the back and I set off armed with my rifle and 20 rounds of ammo, divided between two magazines, to force us to excute a magazine change during the excercise. I had been told there would be 10 targets popping up. So 2 rounds per target, easy!

So thats what I did, targets popped up, I drilled them with two rounds each. Exept when the last target dropped, an eleventh popped up, about 100 meters up hill.

I looked a bit bewildered from the new target to my instructor, out of ammo as I was. He yelled straight into my ear:

"You are out of ammo!, the enemy has spotted you, you are under fire, WHAT DO YOU DO!"

Well, I did not know any better, I was an 18 year old kid, with about 3 weeks in uniform and had watched to many movies. So I fumbled for my bayonette, clicked it in place and proceeded to charge, and just as I was to utter my most scary war cry, the instructor grabbed my shoulder, turned me around facing where I came from, kicked me in the butt, and screamed: RUN!

I guess the dude was right about that course of action....lol

Last edited:
Back