Rumsfeld's Comment Draws Fire

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Arizona Republic (Phoenix)
November 2, 2007 By Associated Press
WASHINGTON - The White House on Thursday sympathized with Arab-Americans who took offense to a memo that former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld wrote saying that "oil wealth has made Muslims averse to physical labor."
Rumsfeld's belief is "not at all in line with the president's views," White House press secretary Dana Perino said.
As Pentagon chief, Rumsfeld wrote scores of internal memos which employees called "snowflakes." In May 2004, Rumsfeld wrote that oil wealth had left Muslims detached from the "reality of the work and investment that leads to wealth for the rest of the world."
"Too often Muslims are against physical labor, so they bring in Koreans and Pakistanis while their young people remain unemployed," Rumsfeld wrote in one of several memos published by the Washington Post. "An unemployed population is easy to recruit to radicalism."
Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said Rumsfeld's comment reflects the "stereotypical attitude" that led the U.S. to invade Iraq.
"Our policy was never based on reality," Hooper said. "It was based on the wild ideas of those who wanted to invade the region. ... It shows you what kind of wrong-headed policymakers we had at the time."

Why should "Rummy the Dummy('s)" comments surprise anyone ... he isn't the sharpest tack in the box.

I know it's a crappy thing to say but you can't just automatically discount it. There may be weight in his claim that people in Iraq may not be willing to take up difficult and demanding jobs that are involved in industry.
I doubt it, but before you just throw it right out, you need to look into it a bit more.

So according to Herr Obergrupenfuher Rumsfeld its the Arabs fault they didn't subscribe to Rummy's nonconservative views of PAX Americana. Whats next? I will say "Triumph of the Will" is his most favorite movie.

You know I have heard the KKK say exactly the something about blacks.

Back