Rugby World Cup 2012

mmarsh

Time for a REAL contact sport, The Rugby World Cup starts this Weekend...

All you fans of the Springbok, All Blacks, Wallabies, Les Bleues, supporters of Saint George (you England fans need to find a cooler name), et al better be getting ready.

Oh and the USA is in it too, just thought I'd mention it

Any Predictions, thoughts, etc...

Time for a REAL contact sport, The Rugby World Cup starts this Weekend...

All you fans of the Springbok, All Blacks, Wallabies, Les Bleues, supporters of Saint George (you England fans need to find a cooler name), et al better be getting ready.

Oh and the USA is in it too, just thought I'd mention it

Any Predictions, thoughts, etc...

Meh, I kind of hope the French win this one well basically I will be ok as long as England or Wales don't win it.

Patience - Still savouring being top of the cricket world here. :smile:

Sadly while Englands cricket team may be the the best and deservedly so your rugby team is about as exciting as a 5 day test to watch and for it to win a rugby world cup would be a blight upon the game from which it would never recover.

As for the Welsh I just get tired of them bleating on about how good they are when their only real tactic against the All Blacks seems to consist of complaining about the haka then falling over on the field.
oh and Warren Gatland is a twat of epic proportions.

For the record when it comes to cricket I a West Indian supporter and I am picking Australia to win this world cup.

Ah come on Monty you can't really be backing the French!? I suppose win or lose it will be an awesome atmosphere but it would be great to win.
I'm really interested to go check out the viaduct, though I get the feeling it will be busy enough to make a Saturday night in town look like an easy place to buy a beer!

Actually I like French rugby, they are a very dynamic (albeit random) team so if I had to choose anyone other than New Zealand to win it I hope it is the French.

Basically the last thing the sport needs is another dour "kick all our points" team like the English or the South Africans to win it as it sets the sport back decades in terms of its development.

Yea a final decided by field goals would be disappointing, I guess we will know after the first few games if that's how its going to go.
I'm backing New Zealand, its definitely about time the All Blacks step up and win the world cup!

Yeah but the problem will remain the same for the All Blacks in that that they only ever focus on the final and sleep through the rest of the competition, I am actually hoping they lose to France in the pool matches and get shipped to the other side of the competition which is a much easier run to the final (think it would work out as England in the quarters and Aussie in the Semis).

Ok this one is for Del Boy as outside the Kiwi's on this forum I doubt anyone else will understand it.

Webb Ellis

But something to remember in all this is that win or lose as long as New Zealand make the quarter finals they will still be the worlds number one ranked team after the Rugby World Cup, that is how consistent the All Blacks are.

Anyway enjoy the video I think it is damn funny and extremely well done and best of all at 1:32 is the greatest moment in world rugby.
:)

Last edited:
The French are good this year...but against the All Blacks.

My hearts on France, but my money is on NZ.

Ok this one is for Del Boy as outside the Kiwi's on this forum I doubt anyone else will understand it.

Webb Ellis

But something to remember in all this is that win or lose as long as New Zealand make the quarter finals they will still be the worlds number one ranked team after the Rugby World Cup, that is how consistent the All Blacks are.

Anyway enjoy the video I think it is damn funny and extremely well done and best of all at 1:32 is the greatest moment in world rugby.

Brilliant video. And a brilliant Kick-off by NZ - completely blew away Tonga. The old Haka is working again - don't fall over again Monty , like Wales.

I have to say that NZ deserve to go all the way, as always. As for us - well, of course we've there recently, 2003, so we are easy going on that score. It's the taking part that counts you know, not the winning.:wink:

Last edited:
Brilliant video. And a brilliant Kick-off by NZ - completely blew away Tonga. The old Haka is working again - don't fall over again Monty , like Wales.

I have to say that NZ deserve to go all the way, as always. As for us - well, of course we've there recently, 2003, so we are easy going on that score. It's the taking part that counts you know, not the winning.:wink:

Loved the video, if I see another Haka this century I will probably go postal and I hated the game. Tonga certainly played beyond expectation but I think if you polled New Zealanders you will find that that game did more to make us realise that that we are not a shoe in to win the cup than anything else.

The All Blacks were lacklustre and simply did not seem to have a plan to break the Tongan defence and if they played like that against Australia, South Africa or France they would have lost.

The expectation here was that the AB's should have run up at least 50 points and to be brutally honest they were lucky to have a 20 point margin I have heard people spouting on about how it is good for us to have a few hard games and I agree I just wish they were not turning easy games into hard ones.

Never mind Argentina v England tonight should be a good game and may the best Southern Hemisphere team win.

Well what did you expect...

Never mind Argentina v England tonight should be a good game and may the best Southern Hemisphere team win.

Well what did you expect...

Regarding rugby styles, the point is that the World Cup is about winning games. As it should be, it is actually a question of attrition and will , 'til the last whistle blows.:-D

Bring it on!!

While I accept the argument that the over all aim is to win the game I also think there should be some direction as to what type of game rugby should be which needs to be reflected in the scoring, the problem rugby faces is that it is a small sport and to gain traction around the world it needs to be entertaining and if you allow the kicking game to become dominant the entertainment value goes out the window.

I see no point in encouraging the sport to become soccer with 3 point scores which seems to be England and South Africa's ambition basically when you don't have a plan kick it.

I would like to see rugby's scoring altered to be a cross between Rugby League (1 for a drop kick, 2 for a penalty and conversion and 5 for a try) with Basketball style rules on penalties (personal fouls and team fouls).

Steady Tiger. We must adhere to the accepted format here before considering your interesting proposals; first we fight - then half of us cart-wheel and the other half whinge ; and so on until the roughest toughest long range penalty- kicking lucky so-and-so's from Oz or NZ end up in the final two. Then the most gracious (usually us) congratulate the winners far too kindly, then we all go home. THEN - we talk, and you get to sound off, and the reception you get depends upon where your team finished.

So just hold your horses until early November!:-D

PS .I'm enjoying it already - looks like a great World Cup.

Bah adhering to rules is for Nazi's I say shake the game up.

As for the games so far none of the major teams have really impressed me with South Africa looking dire at times and I turned off the England v Argentina game it was that boring but I enjoyed watching the Japanese and USA teams with both deserving a better result than they got although the USA team needs to seriouly rethink its forward packs strategy because had they had a competitive scrum they would beaten the Irish.

At this point my money is still on Australia to win.

As to why I believe running rugby is the only way the game should be played you only have to watch the following to see why...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8mCStd5H4c&feature=related"]Rokocoko (AllBlacks) - The Legendary Wing - YouTube[/ame]

and

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqW0vT63mzk"]Jonah Lomu All Blacks Legend Dvd - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Today's Matches...

14/09 - 14:30 Samoa - Namibia Pool D

14/09 - 17:00 Tonga - Canada Pool A

14/09 - 19:30 Scotland - Georgia Pool B

Tomorrow:
15/09 - 19:30 Russia - USA Pool C

MISSING - Reward

The Defense of French Rugby Team is now declared a missing and a significant reward has been posted for its return.

It was last spotted several weeks ago somewhere between Paris en route to Auckland and hasn't been seen since.

If you have any information concerning the missing French defense please call the FFR at the link below...

I don't think you understand just how apprehensive New Zealand was over that match, there was a huge collective national sigh of relief when the full time whistle went but I wouldn't judge the French rugby team from that performance they are a phenomenal team and when it counts will perform better however tonight they met a New Zealand team that was not going to give them an inch.

Trust me as a Kiwi we have learnt how dangerous France are if you let them get on the front foot and if I am prepared to bet that a sizeable proportion of the country would choose France to win this thing if we can't.

Last edited:
Back