Is Rugby thougher or easier than American football?

thougher, Rugby American football?

• Total voters
I can understand why someone ppl would think American football would be tougher with a high death rate before they were legally made to wear pads.
But personally I think rugby is a tougher sport. On average 10 mins in a NFL game is actually played. Rugby is 80 minutes non stop.
Rugby players can play american football, and many ex ruggers are now playing for the NFL. But american football players wont make it in rugby. They just dont have the skill or stamina.
Rugby players are in better cardiovascular shape than NFL players.
But then again I'm biased as I'm a huge rugby fan! :)

We could just start a debate on which tougher...Rugby union or Rugby League?!

Last edited:
I guess if I had my choice of being locked in a room with a 285 lb, 6 ft, 5 inch defensive tackle or a rugby player to go mano e mano with bare knuckles, I'd pick the defensive tackle so I wouldn't have to suffer longer before I passed out. But as far as the games themselves, rugby players take more punishment.

Irishone said:
I can understand why someone ppl would think American football would be tougher with a high death rate before they were legally made to wear pads.
But personally I think rugby is a tougher sport. On average 10 mins in a NFL game is actually played. Rugby is 80 minutes non stop.
Rugby players can play american football, and many ex ruggers are now playing for the NFL. But american football players wont make it in rugby. They just dont have the skill or stamina.
Rugby players are in better cardiovascular shape than NFL players.
But then again I'm biased as I'm a huge rugby fan! :)

We could just start a debate on which tougher...Rugby union or Rugby League?!

See rugby players dont have as many rules to follow...I wanna see a rugby player come to the States and memorize every single play in the book. Cause thats what you have to do...And if you dont, good-bye. There are hundreds of thousands of other people waiting to fill your spot. And NFL players work out just as hard. They would be around the same cardiovascular...But stamina wise I think you're right; NFL players couldnt take that constant punishment. And I'm fairly sure its more than 10 minutes of the game...Seeing as with comercials, time outs, and play reviews etc. the football games are around 3 hours...

Mod Edit: Check your PMs

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd said....Rugby. I was a football player a little bit. No, I didn't quit the team. My mom kicked me out cause she is worried about getting hurt. Geez.....mom thing. I know Rugby looks tough SOB. They don't wear helmet or pads.

rugby union is tougher i think then rugby league to play and both are tougher then NFL. what is the point of memorising playbooks you should be able to think on your feet in footy instead of having to stop and check a playbook every 5 minutes.

still an AFL supporter at heart even though it aint as violent as it used to be.

Awhile back before playing rugby I would have been cursing and swearing that all these rugby boys were outta their mind and tellin em to pull their heads in. That was then, this is now... I played HS ball and all the usual pick up games and then when I came to China these Aussies and Saffas didn't know SFA about American football so I agreed to play their game... I love to hit. Scratch that I love to hit someone so hard it hurts me. I LOVE rugby. It is a far more taxing aerobic workout and the hits are vicious. Though I have had to learn that a king hit is a no no. :)

I love Howie Long and Lyle Alzado (RIP) but they have nothing on Os Du Randt and Dan Crowley.

we play football in rotc
but it might as well be rugby
last time we played i got flipped over this huge guys shoulders and landed on my back
and didnt drop the ball8)

Back