Is Rugby thougher or easier than American football?

thougher, Rugby American football?

• Total voters
Re: rugby

danthepirate said:
rugby man, it is an awsome game, in my fourth grade class we played it quite a bit, we never hurt each other but it is an awsome game. I love the lack of rules this game has. For example, my friends and I were playin and this person was about to make a touch down, we picked him up(we meanin about 4 of us) and carried him to our goal with our mates blocking for us, it was a sweet touch down.

You realise that's an offside right?:p

If you decide to "block" in rugby you get penalised for obstruction.

Are significant injuries that frequent in rugby?

Knee's, shoulder's, back, neck, head, hamstrings, ribs. When you have played a game of rugby you definitly know about it the next day and you look in the mirrow and see about 20 ruck marks.

Most professional rugby teams only have 30 players and there are atleast 5 guys that get injured in a season. Many teams have to bring in players from club rugby to cover.

After careful consideration I dont think either game is tougher than the other in terms of contact I think in American football they can afford to tackle harder because of the protective gear and the players are physically larger than most rugby players.

However the bit that rugby has over AF is that the game is constant so for the most part you play two 40 minute halves almost nonstop there is no swapping teams every 5 minutes and no meeting of the board of directors to decide the next play between plays.

I think if you want to look at the tougher of the rugby related sports you need to look at rugby league.

There is a heavily used quote at home that say:
Rugby is a thugs sport played by gentlemen, rugby league is a gentlemans sport played by thugs.

Played rugby yesterday with my regiment. I'll tell you, its not just the tackles and scrums that hurt. It's getting stomped, the dirty punches that are thrown, eye gouging, high tackles etc. Because you don't get a chance to recover from one hit to the next really it can be a very gruelling game, especially after 80 mins on the field.

AussieNick said:
getting stomped, the dirty punches that are thrown, eye gouging, high tackles etc. Because you don't get a chance to recover from one hit to the next really it can be a very gruelling game,.

Sounds alot like our regimental floor hockey games:p Only we have locker banks to get slammed into......and sticks

Mentally or Physically?

Rugby is deinetly tougher on the body but American Football is much more strategy than Rugby.

League is easy. You may get hit hard in a tackle but you have atleast 2 sets of six to recover and you can go off and come back on, thats the life.

In NFL the players don't even call the plays, the coaches do. In rugby you are admired for trying your own things, of course you can be hated at the same time.

Wallabies said:
League is easy. You may get hit hard in a tackle but you have atleast 2 sets of six to recover and you can go off and come back on, thats the life.

In NFL the players don't even call the plays, the coaches do. In rugby you are admired for trying your own things, of course you can be hated at the same time.

Echelon left, Echelon right. Does Rubgy have any more plays than that?

Wallabies said:
So very ignorant of the game.

That goes both ways.

For physical VIOLENCE Rugby wins hands down but for Physical ability I have to lean towards the NFL. Hitting a wide receiver on the sideline in stride forty yards down the field with a defender only a couple feet behind if even that is the hardest thing in any sport. Supposedly baseball is hard because you have to hit a round ball with a round bat square, but I can hit a breaking ball, I can not however hit a wide out streaking down the sideline in stride even without a defender on him. (ok, if I really tried I might be able to 1/10 times but it has been a while since I threw a football with any accuracy.)

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but from what I have seen in Rugby (And I used to watch Rugby and Soccer on FSN quite often.) there is only one tactic for getting the ball down the field and that is running as far as you can then lateral the ball while trying to take down as many defenders as you can with the occasional Squim(sp).

Definitions

The use of the word tough has seemed to lend itself to a little interpretation on this thread. If you take tough to mean difficult to play then you can further break it down into mentally or physically... but for my part I would like to use the definition to mean tough as in full on macho in your face smashmouth ball breaking physically violent. Rugby wins. No pads and full contact. Damn good clean fun even though I still have difficulty remembering that I am not supposed to block (argh!!!) and that you have to throw the ball backwards to go forwards :lol: .

We used to play rugby first and then after an hour when everyone was knackered we'd play American football as it was friendly to those who needed a break. You know, rugby is non-stop go go go and in football you have 10 seconds of action and then 40 seconds of rest.

And wallaby has a point. Prior to playing the game i thought from observing, it was all 'echelon right' and 'echelon left' but damn it is a wee bit more complicated than all that. Its a game of laterals and it is damn difficult even without the physical violence. There is a reason NFL teams don't do laterals on kickoff returns anymore- the guys just can't get it right without screwing up because it is too easy to screw it up so they concentrate on the more easily controlled aspects of the game.

There is a LOT of strategy and a LOT of violence. Me likey!!! :)

Hitting a wide receiver on the sideline in stride forty yards down the field

You may do this, but how many times does it take untill it happens?

The contest for the ball never stops in Rugby, not one facet of play is guaranteed for the team with the ball. We can't run out when we are about to get hit, and if we slip over we better get up quickly and get smashed or stay down and lose the ball. Getting over the line with 3 blokes on you is common place and the skill to step, fend, and weave your way through the defensive line is a lot harder than out sprinting someone and catching a ball.

For physical VIOLENCE Rugby wins hands down

Too bloody right.

biff_narrowweb__200x234,1.jpg

p108-3s.jpg

_41014863_rugby200.jpg

BETHAM_Monty.jpg

Wallabies said:
Hitting a wide receiver on the sideline in stride forty yards down the field

You may do this, but how many times does it take untill it happens?

The contest for the ball never stops in Rugby, not one facet of play is guaranteed for the team with the ball. We can't run out when we are about to get hit, and if we slip over we better get up quickly and get smashed or stay down and lose the ball. Getting over the line with 3 blokes on you is common place and the skill to step, fend, and weave your way through the defensive line is a lot harder than out sprinting someone and catching a ball.

Do you want me to be just as biased as you and start downplaying how hard Rugby players try?

Do you want me to be just as biased as you and start downplaying how hard Rugby players try?

Uh I think he was making a serious point. Some rugby players are known to make over 100 tackles in an 80 min game. And those tackles aren't soft.

Simple enough to settle this hey. Two matches. One rugby team, one american football team. One game by NFL rules. One game by Rugby rules. Winner takes all, till then its all supposition and highly subjective. There is a bit of nationalism involved in this and hence an inherent bias.

Australia doesn't even have enough professional players to make up 2 NFL teams. I would love to see a prop going up against a linesman, I think the prop would win. In a NFL game I mean.

A rugby team playing NFL would still win because by the third quarter, the NFL team would be in hospital.

Ok, NFL. i can respect anyone who can throw a ball 80 yards. i can respect the tactics and the plays and counter plays and all that. but thats it.

i CAN NOT respect a game that stops every 8 seconds, in which the players are allowed to take steroids and wear protective padding., imagine rugby players on steroids...shiiish

ive played both, in Victoria, and most people that played were playing in the union off season for sumthing to do. the ones that didnt play union were usually carried off the pitch on stretchers. it sure was fun, but there is no satisfaction smashing somone when they cant feel it. and all the bloody rules made the game so slow.

i know speaking as an Aussie and a descendant of the Commonwealth im being biased, but union really is the greatest, most tactically minded, physically and psychologically demanding game in the world. i think even the irish will admit to that. btw i have nothing against hurling, as long as you get sloshed beforehand so u cant feel anything.

and keep in mind we're talking about rugby union. rugby league is just inferior, unless u want to warm up.

Back