Is Rugby thougher or easier than American football? - Page 11

View Poll Results :thougher, Rugby American football?
Rugby 51 80.95%
American football 12 19.05%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

--

May 22nd, 2005  
r031Button

Topic: Re: rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthepirate
rugby man, it is an awsome game, in my fourth grade class we played it quite a bit, we never hurt each other but it is an awsome game. I love the lack of rules this game has. For example, my friends and I were playin and this person was about to make a touch down, we picked him up(we meanin about 4 of us) and carried him to our goal with our mates blocking for us, it was a sweet touch down.

You realise that's an offside right?:P
May 22nd, 2005  
AussieNick

Quote:
it was a sweet touch down.
I believe the term your looking for is a "try"
June 7th, 2005  
Wallabies

If you decide to "block" in rugby you get penalised for obstruction.

Quote:
Are significant injuries that frequent in rugby?
Knee's, shoulder's, back, neck, head, hamstrings, ribs. When you have played a game of rugby you definitly know about it the next day and you look in the mirrow and see about 20 ruck marks.

Most professional rugby teams only have 30 players and there are atleast 5 guys that get injured in a season. Many teams have to bring in players from club rugby to cover.
--
June 7th, 2005  
MontyB

After careful consideration I dont think either game is tougher than the other in terms of contact I think in American football they can afford to tackle harder because of the protective gear and the players are physically larger than most rugby players.

However the bit that rugby has over AF is that the game is constant so for the most part you play two 40 minute halves almost nonstop there is no swapping teams every 5 minutes and no meeting of the board of directors to decide the next play between plays.

I think if you want to look at the tougher of the rugby related sports you need to look at rugby league.

There is a heavily used quote at home that say:
Rugby is a thugs sport played by gentlemen, rugby league is a gentlemans sport played by thugs.
June 9th, 2005  
AussieNick

Played rugby yesterday with my regiment. I'll tell you, its not just the tackles and scrums that hurt. It's getting stomped, the dirty punches that are thrown, eye gouging, high tackles etc. Because you don't get a chance to recover from one hit to the next really it can be a very gruelling game, especially after 80 mins on the field.
June 10th, 2005  
r031Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
getting stomped, the dirty punches that are thrown, eye gouging, high tackles etc. Because you don't get a chance to recover from one hit to the next really it can be a very gruelling game,.
Sounds alot like our regimental floor hockey games:P Only we have locker banks to get slammed into......and sticks
June 12th, 2005  
Damien435

Mentally or Physically?

Rugby is deinetly tougher on the body but American Football is much more strategy than Rugby.
June 13th, 2005  
Wallabies

League is easy. You may get hit hard in a tackle but you have atleast 2 sets of six to recover and you can go off and come back on, thats the life.

In NFL the players don't even call the plays, the coaches do. In rugby you are admired for trying your own things, of course you can be hated at the same time.
June 13th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallabies
League is easy. You may get hit hard in a tackle but you have atleast 2 sets of six to recover and you can go off and come back on, thats the life.

In NFL the players don't even call the plays, the coaches do. In rugby you are admired for trying your own things, of course you can be hated at the same time.
Echelon left, Echelon right. Does Rubgy have any more plays than that?
June 14th, 2005  
Wallabies

So very ignorant of the game.