Rubgy V American Football - Page 2

--

June 24th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
There was a saying in UK

Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen,
Football (soccer) is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.
This is certainly true.
September 25th, 2009  
Nina

Between the two sports I do prefer rugby.

And I do like the NZ All Blacks looks and their hakas also.

But as my attention spam is so very short I would not sit to watch both full time playing.
November 22nd, 2009  
Yin717

I love both of the games! That as good as each other! Though rugby is more fun to watch because it doesn't stop every 10 seconds like american football! lol.
--
November 23rd, 2009  
John Lydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
On the whole both sports played well are great to watch and much like yourself I can't for the life of me fathom the rules to American Football.
I just recently found Rugby on American Television (Spike TV I think) and I've been trying to get into it. But for the life of me I can't understand the rules of it!
The main differance between the two sports, as has been pointed out, is in Rugby endurance is key. In American Football, it's all about strength and speed. That's why they wear pads in football. On every play, someone is trying to rip your head off. Don't get me wrong, I've seen Rugby hits that would rival any football hit, but it's not on every play. Both sports are fun to watch but the players are two totally different beasts.
November 24th, 2009  
Yin717

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lydon
I just recently found Rugby on American Television (Spike TV I think) and I've been trying to get into it. But for the life of me I can't understand the rules of it!
The main differance between the two sports, as has been pointed out, is in Rugby endurance is key. In American Football, it's all about strength and speed. That's why they wear pads in football. On every play, someone is trying to rip your head off. Don't get me wrong, I've seen Rugby hits that would rival any football hit, but it's not on every play. Both sports are fun to watch but the players are two totally different beasts.
Your totally right. I play both sports in Britain and they are very different. Football is very rough compared to rugby and the pace is much quicker. i thought I was rather fit until I played football!
November 24th, 2009  
Bacara

i play a hybrid defensive end/defensive tackle, and personally i say there completely different sports. I'm 5' 10 and around 215 pounds, so i'm quite a big guy. But again in my opinion i think the football running back overall in any sport, tevery play the get hit, either carrying the ball or blocking, they hae to drag 300 pounders around, block them too. They have to catch the ball, and make cornerbacks miss, who are incrediable atheletes.
November 24th, 2009  
Yin717

Let me ask hwv you every played rugby? That is very a physically challenging game to and metally it is awful. You can never drift off, you must always be aware of what is happening around you! At the end of games I am just so exhuasted I have to cry it all out.
November 24th, 2009  
Bacara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin717
Let me ask hwv you every played rugby? That is very a physically challenging game to and metally it is awful. You can never drift off, you must always be aware of what is happening around you! At the end of games I am just so exhuasted I have to cry it all out.
yes, its fun, but not a physical as one might expect and running backs do too, and they need to memorize exstemely complex playbook, in our offense alone, we have 23 different formations, and thats just in high school, in the NFL theirs can be easily several hundred pages thick. Also most running backs in the NFL only last a couple of seasons been the featured back, look at LT and larry johnson their practical falling apart at the seams!!!
November 24th, 2009  
Wallabies

Atleast with rugby you can play in a club. I don't think you can play grid iron outside of school and the pro's.
November 25th, 2009  
Yin717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacara
yes, its fun, but not a physical as one might expect and running backs do too, and they need to memorize exstemely complex playbook, in our offense alone, we have 23 different formations, and thats just in high school, in the NFL theirs can be easily several hundred pages thick. Also most running backs in the NFL only last a couple of seasons been the featured back, look at LT and larry johnson their practical falling apart at the seams!!!
I'll admit there is alot of play in American Football. Playing it myself it can be hard to memorise it all. Yet rugby for me is still much more of a make it up as you go along while American Football can be planned. Also, for the physicsal element it also depends where you play, just like football. If your a back in rugby there is a high need for good physical ability yet if your forward it's not needed as much. It's rather similar in football. But I will admit, what makes football harder is the high paced speed of the game compared to rugby and what you American's call soccer.