The RSM and the swagger stick

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
At our Territorial Army unit we were expecting an inspection by a Brigadier

The Squadron Sergeant Major asked me, “Corporal do you know the drill with a swagger stick?”

Puzzled I stated that I did.

“Good” said the Squadron Sergeant Major, “take this swagger stick and wait at the main gate, and when the Brigadier arrives, greet him and show him where the CO's office is.”

When I asked the Squadron Sergeant Major why I needed a swagger stick he replied, “Bullsh!te Corporal.”

When carrying a swagger stick and saluting an officer, the left hand holding the stick, drops to the side, then when the salute is finished, the left hand returns to the stick.

I waited by the main gate at attention with the swagger stick under my arm, when I saw two staff cars approaching. In the first car was the Brigadier, I saluted and directed him to the CO's office, COMPLETELY forgetting the correct drill with the swagger stick, which I continued holding with my left hand while saluting. Thank fully the Brigadier didn't notice and his car pulled away. In the second car was the Regimental Sergeant Major, the car stopped, the RSM wound down his window, beckoned me over and said “Corporal, you are an idiot” wound up his window and drove away.

Last edited:
Back