RPG Defense, Stryker Style

Fantastic!

I saw a segment on FoxNews a few weeks ago and they showed a few Strykers there and I was impressed with the cage design they employ. I wonder if a similar design could be implemented with other vehicles.

A double layer of chain link fence does about the same thing. It works better if spaced 2-3" apart. Cost is a hole lot less but we used it in the 80's on a Special Weapons site I worked at.

dosent really

Dosent really matter, as long as it makes the shaped/hoolow charge fo of, then the hot gas and shrapnel jet losses some of its energy on the way between the cage and the haul of the vhiecle....

is it true theres some frequency that makes grenade explode?
if its possible wouldn't it be simple to pull all the soldiers out and blast the frequency into the town "neutralizing" all dirty bombs and grenades?

yea i've been reading alot of sci fi books :D

Here's a nice picture.

strykercage.jpg

hmmm

if its possible wouldn't it be simple to pull all the soldiers out and blast the frequency into the town "neutralizing" all dirty bombs and grenades?

:lol:

Those railings are supposed to detonate the shaped charge of the RPG warhead before it hits the actual vehicle body.

army jrotc boy said:

yea i've been reading alot of sci fi books :D

If you are referring to radiofrequency energy (energy in the radio or magnetic spectrum) you might get a bang if you have a detonation system that relied on electricity to initiate the boom...like a blasting cap or squib. In the air force, its a defitnite no-no to energise your radar around fuel, or those neat weapon rack blow-off squibs in the planes wings that get rid of the bomb or fuel tanks in flight. The electrical energy builds up and releases itself as static, making the spark that ignites the fuel which lives in the house that jack built..or simply generates enough electrical power to blow the squib. With hand or rocket propelled grenades however its a different story...

The explosives in modern military weapons system tend to be pretty safe compunds, detonatable only by a severe shock. Its this principle that often allowed combat engineers to tear off a bit of C-4 explosive, set it on fire, and brew their coffee during WWII. When it comes to grenades, the whole idea is for the thrower to walk around with something that detonates where he wants it to, and not around the waist. so...

1. a grenade often relies on a physical initiator for the detonation...either as a striker on a cap thats released when you pull the pin and let loose the handle, which then iniates a fuse train that blows the charge a couple of seconds after it leave the throwers hands....or

2. in the case of a cartridge fired grenade, a centrifical safety fuse that as it spins it disables the safety and allows the detonation, either as a deceleromter type when it hits something solid or a fused detonator initiation like the hand grenade.

So, unless them grenades in the sci fi rack were electrically fired, or contain radiosensitive explosives...this ideal is a na na.

However, if you tune the radiofrequency wave just right say 2540 MHz (microwave oven anyone?) and you hold that energy in place for a couple of hours...you could cook your enemy to death! :D

Redneck said:
Those railings are supposed to detonate the shaped charge of the RPG warhead before it hits the actual vehicle body.

Ah OK i get it, are the in use right now over in Iraq......from the way it looks on the news they are needed badly.

Back