Royalties guarded by extremists

sunb!

Forum Barbecuer
The way to go - first the police spend lots of their budgets keeping an eye on these extreme people; and before you can tell they are working as security guards for the Norwegian Royal Family...

Oslo, Aftenposten Oslo police will examine a security firm's control routines after a well-known neo-Nazi took part in the safety measures surrounding a royal appearance.

Crown Princess Mette-Marit (center) arrives at Jakob Cultural Church for the carity TV appeal.

Anti-racism magazine Monitor uncovered the scandal, which took place during Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit's appearance at a TV appeal to aid women victims of violence in underdeveloped nations, newspaper Dagsavisen reports.

Erling Alexander Kristoffersen, a high-profile extremist with a prior conviction for violence and a former leader of the neo-Nazi Boot Boys, managed to get a security job with the firm Prosec.

Kristoffersen, who stood watch outside the venue, the Jakob Cultural Church, currently fronts the web site for the group Nasjonal Motstand (National Resistance), which has an agenda of replacing the current government with a 'national alternative' and sending foreigners home.

Managing director Kenneth Isaksen at Prosec said that their hiring routines had let them down.

"We don't hire people with a criminal record in a security service. This person had only worked for us for eight hours, which was probably the reason why we had not managed to check his record with police. Originally he was not intended for security service and was fired immediately when we learned that he had a conviction and served prison time," Isaksen said.

Isaksen said that Kristoffersen had not had any direct responsibility for the royal couple's safety, but was supposed to prevent drug addicts and alcoholics from entering the church, and to watch a NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting) van parked in the area.

Kristoffersen's lawyer Vidar Lind Iversen confirmed that his client had only worked a few shifts for the security company, and that he was still active in extremist circles.

Edit: Post updated.

What are the laws in Great Britain regarding privacy and pre-employment screening? Was this laziness on the part of the HR department or are they hamstrung by privacy laws?

Don't know about the UK but in Norway you must hand in a police record statement for certain types of job; that is in security work, kindergardens and primary schools and in certain chemical process industries, and so forth.

The report is something you have to ask for your self from the police if you get a job offer, and should be delivered your new employer on the day of contract signing - but sometimes this slips and no one really asks for it.

Sorry but I don't much care for royalty. Being born into a family of blue bloods doesn't make you all powerful. Now, I don understand that my European Allies have royalty. So I respect your rights t be ruled by them. I on the other hand will choose who works for me. I'm the Presidents boss, and he's my employee. I don't like him. I don't vote for him.

Back