Royal big mouth.

Del Boy

Let me jump the gun regarding Prince Andew's current visit to USA and his inappropriate remarks regarding Iraq etc.

I wish to apologize for Britain inflicting this character on you. Firstly, the Royal family NEVER comment on such matters, it is not their prerogative.

Secondly, let me assure Americans that, since his service as a young man in the Falklands, this guy has come to represent an outrageous free-loader, and as far as the public know, has never been recognised as having ever said or done anything to contribute to the cause.

He is a main negative in the consideration of the survival of Royalty here.

His personal views are his business, but he carries no weight whatsoever here, and any differences between our countries' attitudes can be considered by far more able men than him, and in my opinion he should watch his mouth, or better still, get off the pot of gold.

Of course, I am always ready to stand corrected by those who can advise better on the subject.

No sooner had he landed, as I read it, he started spouting that there was a feeling in Britain that the Americans should listen , and should have listened, to us more in post war Iraq etc.. He is there on an alleged trade mission, probably to be effected on the golf course; so that went down like a lead balloon. We hear that it stirred up a lot of hostility.

My point is that he doesn't speak for us, in any case, and is not widely respected, and we expect our Royal Family NOT to spout publically. Also, to anyone upset by his remarks at this time, I wanted to apologize and get that across.

Perhaps I am premature or perhaps it has been buried. Was it blown up on this side?

Last edited:
Well, I'm siding with him on this one.

Well without knowing what he actually said it is hard to take a stand on this one, however I do know that Andrew is somewhat more liked and respected in the Commonwealth than either of his brothers.

I believe that folk here would be happy to let the commonwealth have him - if they think they can afford him and his entourage. He has no popularity here any longer.

Prince Andrew, ain't that same guy who flew in the air during the Flakland War in 1980?

Prince Andrew, ain't that same guy who flew in the air during the Flakland War in 1980?
yes, that's the guy. But he seems to side liberal, which apparently makes him evil...

del boy said:
His personal views are his business, but he carries no weight whatsoever here, and any differences between our countries' attitudes can be considered by far more able men than him, and in my opinion he should watch his mouth, or better still, get off the pot of gold.

Hey, at least he's fought in a war, which puts him ahead of most of Congress, and the President of the United States. He's got more experience than Bush does.

Glad to see your support for our prince TOG, we need all the admiration we can get. But if you think he represents a liberal, then you must be gazing where the sun don't shine. This is our royal family we are talking about, and they live in a far different world from the one you know. In Britain this guy is known as 'Air-miles Andy'. Guess why.

Spends ALL his time free-loading and partying on golf courses around the world outrageously at tax-payers expense to a great extent. And that ain't the half of it.

I would appreciate any positives you could advise me of - I might then be able to water down my take on the issue.

Last edited:
Well you see TOG - we have a very special relationship with our Royal Family. We support their position because we wish to. Generally, we admire our Queen and we are pleased to be ableto seperate our patriotism for our country from support of our government necessarily, seeing as our head of state is definitely not a politician and keeps out of politics. We keep them in high style and they are very wealthy themselves of course, the main ones, and all we ask in return is that they remember their place, behave themswelves politically and do not bring us into disrepute. It is unheard of for one of them to interfere between us and our allies. If something needs to be said, it is not their place to do so.

Things like this rock the stability of the Royals as an institution, so it is dangerous.

So there you go, that's the widely held view.

Sorry for the off-topic, Del Boy, I'm curious which one are more power to control England, the Royal Family or Prime Minister? I'm kinda confused on this one since I know that the Prime Minister or Ministry of Defence can control the British military and troops in A-Stan and Iraq.

Pleasure Fox. No question- our Prime Minister. Generally the Queen has no political clout, nor does she want such. HOWEVER - our Government is the Queen's government and the Prime Minister would be taking the Queen into confidence, discussion and account on important issues.

Example. The Labour government, in its election manifesto, promised to give us (the electorate) a vote on whether to adopt the constitutional issues of the new EU treaty. Now on the basis of the clearly untrue claim that this these treaty alterations are not the same thing in disguise, Gordon Brown has refused to put the matter to a referendum as promised, because he fears he might lose. Everyone, including many of his own party, is up in arms regarding this rejection of democracy and scorn of the views of the people.

From the Queen - nothing. And quite right too. But the voters will remember him.

HOWEVER - in a time of serious confrontation and emergency, under the necessary conditions, with Britain under sufficient stress, then I am sure that England would rally behind its head of state. Remember that the Queen has no political affiliations, so is not opposed on that count. We have experience. The last time it happened, Parliament won under Oliver Cromwell. King lost his head. When Cromwell died we brought back his son as our King, probably the most popular King ever.

We now set the conditions for allowing Royal succession, who we feel work for us, which is more than we can say for our current career politicians.

As for our forces - The Queen I suggest. In fact, I am sure.

Who is the most trusted - The Queen.

Imagine a scenario where your constitution seperated politics from head of state.
Imagine Geo Washington as head of state, President. Of no political allegiance.
Imagine Geo Bush as Prime Minister.

You can see the both the benefits and the problems thereby.

Which is why we are so fortunate to have a trusted line of heads of state, ready made, not having to be elected, having no political corruption, and expected, by US, always to behave in the most careful and responsible manner. So there you have our Queen, and she has been fantastic.

We can be of any political colour, up in arms with our government, and still rally together around the Queen. Perhaps the closest you have to this is your flag, which is why I have objected in the past to folk not respecting it.

These are my own opinions, I am a strong independent of strong democratic (lower-case)
convictions.

Last edited:
I believe that folk here would be happy to let the commonwealth have him - if they think they can afford him and his entourage. He has no popularity here any longer.

So Andrew is bad for stating that he doesnt support the Iraq war and because he spends a lot of time travelling (I am assuming your complaint is that he is using pupblic money?) yet you support his younger brother who got booted out of the Royal Marines for being a bit "prissy" (and I am being polite there) and his older brother who in his own words wants to be a tampon of the woman he was having an affair with throughout his entire marriage (I wont bother getting into Chucks naval career which in itself was an embarassment) are fine in your books?

At least Andrew has the balls to stand up and say what he thinks.

Last edited:
So Andrew is bad for stating that he doesnt support the Iraq war and because he spends a lot of time travelling (I am assuming your complaint is that he is using pupblic money?) yet you support his younger brother who got booted out of the Royal Marines for being a bit "prissy" (and I am being polite there) and his older brother who in his own words wants to be a tampon of the woman he was having an affair with throughout his entire marriage (I wont bother getting into Chucks naval career which in itself was an embarassment) are fine in your books?

At least Andrew has the balls to stand up and say what he thinks.

What a weak and pathetic contibution to a serious discussion. I find it hard to imagine what you sought to achieve; it was like listening to a man heckling and hurling insults from the very back of a crowd. Great stuff.

You have a great penchant for putting words into other peoples' mouths.

NO-NO - I did not say that he was 'bad'; I'm not an infant.

NO-NO - I did not say that he stated that he did not support the Iraq war.

NO-NO - I did not say that I suported either of his brothers.

NO-NO - I did not say that they were fine with me.

So what are you spouting on about (again). Why don't you show us where I said those things?

I enjoyed your rant regarding Edward and especially Charles. I am pleased to see that you support our Prince Andrew so. You are very welcome I'm sure. Why don't you tell us what you like about him, apart from the fact that he has balls!
I did invite any positives that were out there.

Please try to do better next time and address what is written and not what wanders slowly around in your head. I have warned you before about putting up your own statements and then arguing with yourself.
Stop attributing them to me. Your post was rubbish, as it happens, but that's life I guess.

BTW - re. your comment on Edward, a question occurrs to me - are you a trained Royal Marine then?

Last edited:
Back