Rough times in Seoul

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Here's a little update on the situation in Seoul at the moment. I'm getting a lot of the information through Korean news sources and it seems accurate enough.

There was an incident at the Koreana Hotel. The crowd were busy demonstrating (it seems like the number of things they are demonstrating are increasing exponentially) and a guy in his 50's broke a window at the hotel. A police officer on site attempted to arrest him when the rest of the crowd stepped in and grabbed the police officer and beat him senseless. Another woman had come out shouting at the crowd for breaking the window and they beat her senseless as well. The reporter who watched this happen couldn't take it anymore and tried to stop the beating but instead was assaulted himself.
Things are getting out of hand. The crowd now know it is safe to demonstrate, violently even, because no matter what happens, the government will not come out with automatic rifles loaded with live ammunition.
I'm not sure when it's going to end... but here's what I'd do. Just protect the President's house and key government buildings and let the mob roam free and destroy everything. Pull the police from the street and have the President go on TV and explain that it is no longer safe for police to operate in the streets without live ammunition and since he is unwilling to do that, he will simply pull them off. No one will respond to emergency calls. Not even fire. Let the crowd lose legitimacy. When things are so crazy that people are practically demonstrating against the demonstrators, move in with rubber bullets and bean bag rounds and lots and lots of tear gas.

They are frustrated about a lot of things.

1) The planned import of US beef which critics claimed was unsafe. This was in fact unfounded but whoever planned the demonstrations and the misinformation leak were skilled enough to cause huge demonstrations.
2) Pissed off about foreigners (this place is naturally xenophobic... unless it comes to brainless bimbos who seem to have this thing about dating serious losers as long as they are white).
3) Pissed off about the president (this is possibly the biggest one) because he just does things his way without much concern about anyone else's opinion. I guess it's a huge shock because we had a president who didn't realize he was the president for the past five years.

He's a capable guy but he had the wrong approach. He failed to realize that he is a politician first and a businessman second. So now he's on everyone's sh*t list within a few months of taking office.
For a President he seems to lack the political savvy that would allow him to turn his plans into reality.
The guy had the wrong approach. Perhaps a touch too much of arrogance.
A bit disappointing but nothing that would warrant such large demonstrations.

Back