ROTC as a fighting force, if given a chance...

--

January 25th, 2005  
CO5060.20

Topic: ROTC as a fighting force, if given a chance...

If for some reasn the US is invaded, who thinks that ROTC/JROTC would be a decent fighting force in itself as their are more of them then there are in the real military. They are highly trained in marksmanship (atleast in New Mexico) and orienteering, and ARE the future of the military. They also have the leadership of current or past Military servicmen and covers all of the braqnches (except Coast Guard).
January 25th, 2005  
rotc boy

i dont think we would fair to well. because we all have the kids who are there just to get the PE credits or some stupid reason like that who would run at the first sign of danger. Also, up north, especially Massachusetts, the gun laws are to strict for them to have a rifle team and i think that applies to most northern states. Also, for JROTC, we are basically still kids, except for some of us, i dont think we could kill some one without having a mental breakdown afterwards of some sort.
January 25th, 2005  
SHERMAN

wouldent want to see that happen, they are not reall soldiers yet.
--
January 25th, 2005  
Gorfour20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
wouldent want to see that happen, they are not reall soldiers yet.
We're not, JROTC definatly not.

ROTC maybe for Senior ROTC people, for AFROTC maybe some of the POC.
January 25th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I believe something like this happened during the Korean War. The South Korean Army was being routed so badly that cadets from the Miitary Academy were given their comissions and sent out to fight like regular soldiers (basically lieutenants with the work of privates). They were slaughtered.
January 25th, 2005  
SHERMAN

only JROTC cadets are in high scool...and their military training is mostly marching around...
January 26th, 2005  
Sea_Cadet

sorry no, we would be what you would call last stand militia
January 26th, 2005  
alliehz

It's an intereting thought to say the least, but it wouldn't work. Write a book about it if you want...
January 26th, 2005  
CO5060.20

I do believe that, at least with our unit, we have several cadets that are outstanding marksmen and seem to be strong both physically and mentally, both of which would seem like important attributes for surviving in combat...
January 26th, 2005  
Sea_Cadet

Ok, I'll do a breakdown for you, my unit is probably one of the best physically fit, we have two officers that are active-duty Sea Bees. A PO2 that is a PFC in the Army, another officer that is gonna ship out to Great Lakes on the 2nd of February, for basic and then stay because of Corpsman School.

So we get PT'd enough, I PT myself almost everyday if not more often. But then marksmanship quals we are at a moderate level.

I might suggest that we have a class on basic military tactics and such.

Those of us in the Honorgaurd are especially vigilant and will fight, so we would be the core of our unit.

I have Field School Deployment this summer, so I'll tell you guys whether or not the Cadet Corps. can be good soldiers/sailors for a last stand.