Rose Bowl

Well, I know it's a bit preemptive, but I think it's safe to say the Rose Bowl is over. Congratulations USC, you win again in the conference of... Well, yall know my view on it... The only thing I have to say is about something that happened at the very end of the 3rd quarter... A certain Taylor Mays was en route to tackle a receiver and proceeded to lead with his helmet in one of the most violent hits I've seen this season... Even hitting one of his fellow defenders' head in the process! Quite honestly, I think it was a thuggish thing to do... Number one, you're already up 31-7... There's no reason to kill a man for an incomplete pass... Number two, helmet to helmet contact is one of the most despicable, low, pathetic things you can do in a game... I realize it's not representative of the entire team... But way to show some class jack-@$$.

gee... thanks ... i think... and oh by the way.. PAC-10 is now 5-0 in bowl games this year.

t1_sanchez11.jpg

Congratulations to TI and the Trojans. Now, Let's see what me and the 'Horns are up to against TOG and the Buckeyes on Jan 5th.

LOL! Yeah... 11 miles from USC to Pasadena. Roughly 2500 for State College.

What do you think about it TI? Or is helmet to helmet okay as long as USC wins the game?

Now, in response to your Bowl Record comment... The Pac-10's bowl record hasn't ALWAYS been this good... In fact... It hasn't been this good in the last 7 years... Their overall bowl record in the last 7 years is 21-19... Not exactly the shut out you depict... Penn State holds the overall best percentage of bowl games won... Ironic.

LOL... SEC's in the last 7 years is 32-20... Note more appearances, AND more wins.

There are 4, count 'em 4 teams from the SEC in the top 10 winningest bowl teams of all time... 1 from the Pac-10...

I'm just sayin. ;)

sec_logo.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I am sure USC would GLADLY travel anywhere, anytime to play for that little crystal ball. Just because we have won our 31st Bowl Game (tied with Alabama for all time bowl wins), and it is across town, means nothing. I remember when we were at the Rose Bowl in 2005 and we were playing Texas for the National Championship and we lost. That stung bad....

And yes, the PAC-10 is by far not the best in NCAA as far as football competition goes.... but... I am just saying, we are 5-0 this bowl season with TWO unranked PAC-10 teams beating RANKED teams... ie #16 BYU beat by AZ and Oregon St over #20 Pittsburgh... Also, did you see the Oregon/OSU game? Oregon was ranked 4 spots under OSU....

Yes, helmet to helmet is bad, but football is not golf... it is a violent sport by nature... next subject..

And as far as USC is concerned, you could put them against ANY team in NCAA and they would have a shot to win.... I am not saying they would win, but they would have a serious shot.

I just don't think it's a neutral field... Just like the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party isn't neutral.... It's still in FLORIDA! But that's off topic... The point is, whoever decided that 11 miles was a neutral field was either mentally challenged, or a USC fan. ;) I don't know if you caught any of the arial coverage of the game, but the stadium was about 3 parts red, 1 part white... And half of that one part was the bloody band.

Well SEC is 3-0... And we still have to play the rest of ours... I'll give them their dues, Pac-10 has been rather impressive as a whole this year... But they're just not a powerhouse conference... I mean... Oregon State DID beat PITT... But it was 3-0... Woot?

You're right football is a violent sport by nature, but most defensive backs are taught as a cardinal rule that you never lead with your head. EVER... ESPECIALLY when you're already up by an insurmountable lead.

They'd have a better shot than any other team in the Pac-10, yes.

Well.. be that as it may, the game is in the books. I look forward to the rest of the bowls. I still think that Florida/USC would have been a better game, but that's just me.

If the SEC wins out in the bowl games, I won't be surprised.

All I have to say about the BCS is there should be a PLAYOFF!!!!! to determine the national champ. Then there would be no crying... well not that much at least.

^^^ Hear, effing hear! I've cried for the playoff since elementary school! I never understood the concept of bowl games... But until more conferences take off their green-colored glasses, they won't do it... As has already been pointed out in a few of these threads, the SEC divides it's bowl money between ALL the schools in the conference, regardless of who plays, who wins, and who loses... The winning schools get a bigger slice of the pie, but anyone in the SEC gets a piece of the monetary action... So when more conferences start looking at it that way, then the BCS might start to look at the idea of a play-off system.

Personally, I don't see why they keep the sponsors, and just award money to the top 3 teams or so... It would increase the level of competition, and it would truly name the best team in the country.

Hey, I am sure USC would GLADLY travel anywhere, anytime to play for that little crystal ball. Just because we have won our 31st Bowl Game (tied with Alabama for all time bowl wins), and it is across town, means nothing. I remember when we were at the Rose Bowl in 2005 and we were playing Texas for the National Championship and we lost. That stung bad....

And yes, the PAC-10 is by far not the best in NCAA as far as football competition goes.... but... I am just saying, we are 5-0 this bowl season with TWO unranked PAC-10 teams beating RANKED teams... ie #16 BYU beat by AZ and Oregon St over #20 Pittsburgh... Also, did you see the Oregon/OSU game? Oregon was ranked 4 spots under OSU....

Yes, helmet to helmet is bad, but football is not golf... it is a violent sport by nature... next subject..

And as far as USC is concerned, you could put them against ANY team in NCAA and they would have a shot to win.... I am not saying they would win, but they would have a serious shot.

Oh, I didn't mean to bash, Major, but it was one of the best moments of my life to see the underdog Longhorns defeated the juggernaut Trojans in 19 seconds to play in the 4th quarter. :mrgreen:

Oh, I didn't mean to bash, Major, but it was one of the best moments of my life to see the underdog Longhorns defeated the juggernaut Trojans in 19 seconds to play in the 4th quarter. :mrgreen:

Uh Huh!... .... :cens:

Congratulations to TI and the Trojans. Now, Let's see what me and the 'Horns are up to against TOG and the Buckeyes on Jan 5th.
Should be a fun game. Ohio State's offense is finally getting there, and Texas hasn't faced a defense nearly as good as The Buckeyes all year (the best they've faced was Oklahoma, 65th. Ohio State's top 10), but Texas is a more experienced and older team. We'll see how it plays out.
Well.. be that as it may, the game is in the books. I look forward to the rest of the bowls. I still think that Florida/USC would have been a better game, but that's just me.

All I have to say about the BCS is there should be a PLAYOFF!!!!! to determine the national champ. Then there would be no crying... well not that much at least.
I would have put Texas in over Oklahoma. And USC over the Sooners as well.

The playoff system solves one problem but creates another one. Who do you put in the playoffs. Say, top 8. Who do you decide is top 8? My idea is anyone with a win percentage of, say, .700 or better. Limit the number of I-AA opponents in a year to one, exception being teams transferring to I-A, who are ineligible anyway, to avoid record padding. Limit the number of games that can be played, too, to 11 or 12. Teams like Florida or whoever have an unfair advantage over a Michigan State or a Penn State because their season ends 3 weeks later, 3 weeks less to get rusty. This would mean a lot of teams in the playoffs, but it would still work.

And then we would prove that USC should be the National Champion every year... :D
Yeah, whatever.
OVERRATED GAME!

Had there not been all the hype surrounding Vince Young, who has BOMBED in the pros and didn't even win the Heisman that year anyway, and the fact that the game was between media darlings USC and Texas, no one would remember that game.

The playoff system solves one problem but creates another one. Who do you put in the playoffs. Say, top 8. Who do you decide is top 8? My idea is anyone with a win percentage of, say, .700 or better. Limit the number of I-AA opponents in a year to one, exception being teams transferring to I-A, who are ineligible anyway, to avoid record padding. Limit the number of games that can be played, too, to 11 or 12. Teams like Florida or whoever have an unfair advantage over a Michigan State or a Penn State because their season ends 3 weeks later, 3 weeks less to get rusty. This would mean a lot of teams in the playoffs, but it would still work.

Had there not been all the hype surrounding Vince Young, who has BOMBED in the pros and didn't even win the Heisman that year anyway, and the fact that the game was between media darlings USC and Texas, no one would remember that game.

Keep the regular season rankings, at the end of the year, take the top 8 team... Voila! March Madness.

Vince certainly has led the Titans to one helluva year this year...

Keep the regular season rankings, at the end of the year, take the top 8 team... Voila! March Madness.

Vince certainly has led the Titans to one helluva year this year...
Vince Young hasn't even played all year. Kerry Collins started the first 15 games of the season for the Titans. Vince only started in the blowout loss to the Colts in week 17.

But then instead of the argument of who's #2, the argument is who's #8. I dont' like that very much. If they did a top 8 this year, Ohio State, who lost only to teams ranked in the top 2 (twice) would not go, but Boise State would.

I can understand using rankings to seed the teams once they're in, but not to put them in.

As much as I hate Texas, with me being an Aggies fan, Im going to be rooting for Texas tomorrow. I cant stand USC with a firery passion. So, go Texas.

Back