rommel---africa or russia?

View Poll Results :should Rommel have been sent to the eastern front?
yes 16 64.00%
no 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

--

March 26th, 2005  
behemoth79

Topic: rommel---africa or russia?

im not sure if this one has been done before, so if it has im sorry. do you guys think Erwin Rommel would have been put to better use in the eastern front instead of in africa?
March 26th, 2005  
Doppleganger

I voted no as Deutsch Afrikakorps needed a commander with his flair and boldness and he did very well for a time. Plus there were Panzer Commanders in Russia at least as good as him and in one case certainly better (Guderian). There were 4 Panzergruppes that went into the USSR in 1941 and to be fair I think that Rommel would have been better suited than Paul von Kleist to command Panzergruppe 1.

By the time Rommel had been defeated in 1943, the high watermark of the German invasion of the USSR had been reached and was now waning. Germany was now fighting a defensive war which did not really suit Rommel's particular talents.

To summarize. Rommel made a big impact in North Africa. In Russia he would have gone relatively unnoticed.
March 26th, 2005  
MontyB

I voted yes because his skill in large scale open terrain armoured warfare would have been a very welcome addition to the German offensive especially in the south.

I also think that had Rommel not been sent to Africa there probably would have been no DAK.

Quote:
In Russia he would have gone relatively unnoticed.
He had already been noticed through his command of the 7th division in France.
--
March 26th, 2005  
Zucchini

Russia.

At least there was a target there to take.
March 27th, 2005  
redcoat

If Rommel had gone to Russia, we would now be asking," Rommel Who ?"
March 27th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I voted yes because his skill in large scale open terrain armoured warfare would have been a very welcome addition to the German offensive especially in the south.

I also think that had Rommel not been sent to Africa there probably would have been no DAK.

Quote:
In Russia he would have gone relatively unnoticed.
He had already been noticed through his command of the 7th division in France.
Well, his proven skill was in small scale open terrain warfare but I agree that he would have been a better choice for Panzergruppe 1 than von Kleist, the commander of the Panzergruppe attached to von Rundstedt's Army Group South.

He had been noticed but note that I said relatively unnoticed if he had been assigned to the Eastern Front. In other words, he would not have hogged the limelight in any way, especially with Guderian and Hoth's armored spearheads racing for Moscow.
March 27th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Quote:
Well, his proven skill was in small scale open terrain warfare
I wouldent say El Almein was small scale.
March 27th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Quote:
I would. Understand that small scale does not necessarily mean unimportant. When I talk about large scale I'm talking about size of forces involved. Compared to the massive encirclements at Kiev, Smolensk, the Battles of Moscow, Rostov, Kharkov, Stalingrad, Kursk, Bagration, Berlin ect, El Alamein is dwarved. In the context of this discussion I argued that Rommel had only been involved in small scale operations and when sizes of forces and scales of battles are weighed up this is true. El Alamein was small scale but nonetheless a very important morale boosting turning point for the British in particular.
March 27th, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Quote:
Quote:
I would. Understand that small scale does not necessarily mean unimportant. When I talk about large scale I'm talking about size of forces involved. Compared to the massive encirclements at Kiev, Smolensk, the Battles of Moscow, Rostov, Kharkov, Stalingrad, Kursk, Bagration, Berlin ect, El Alamein is dwarved. In the context of this discussion I argued that Rommel had only been involved in small scale operations and when sizes of forces and scales of battles are weighed up this is true. El Alamein was small scale but nonetheless a very important morale boosting turning point for the British in particular.
The fact that he never got a chance at "large scale" armoured warfare should not be a factor here as he proved himself a more than capable capable commander in France which lead to him being chosen for operations in North Africa and I think those talents would have carried through into Russia especially around the Ukraine.
March 27th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Quote:
Quote:
The fact that he never got a chance at "large scale" armoured warfare should not be a factor here as he proved himself a more than capable capable commander in France which lead to him being chosen for operations in North Africa and I think those talents would have carried through into Russia especially around the Ukraine.
Yes but the topic is should he stay in Africa or have been assigned to Russia. Africa needed a very capable mobile commander and Rommel was perfect for the job. I've stated twice in this thread that Rommel would have done fine in Russia, better than von Kleist IMO. The latter would not have done so well in Rommel's place. Thus I voted that Rommel should have stayed historically where he was.