Roman helmets

--

November 1st, 2005  
Fox

Topic: Roman helmets

Could someone tell me why those crests are different way? Please.

AND

November 1st, 2005  
Navy Boy

Hmm...maybe it is the way they could tell by their ranks back then.
November 1st, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

must say that the first one is worn by offivers such as a centurion. Second one looks interesting too..but it was aslo for ranks and such..
--
November 1st, 2005  
OORAH

It seems as though it would be for some sort of recognition, almost like when during WWII the Aussies infantry wore white clothe on their backs so that their officers could see how far they advanced. Maybe it was used by the Generals to see where their officers were, and for easy recognition from the troops.
November 2nd, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

well yeah..as I said, the first one is used buy Centurions. Or like Captains..
November 2nd, 2005  
Springfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by OORAH
It seems as though it would be for some sort of recognition, almost like when during WWII the Aussies infantry wore white clothe on their backs so that their officers could see how far they advanced. Maybe it was used by the Generals to see where their officers were, and for easy recognition from the troops.
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with OORAH.
November 2nd, 2005  
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaZoOkAzNgReNaDeZ
Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with OORAH.
Same here, I think. I think you're right, OORAH.
November 3rd, 2005  
OORAH

OORAH!!!!!!!!
I was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!! 8)

November 3rd, 2005  
Springfield

Quote:
OORAH!!!!!!!!
I was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!! 8)

No one said you WERE right. We said we THINK you are right. :P
November 3rd, 2005  
MightyMacbeth

lol..u yankees dont get it do u?? THE FIRST ONE WAS USED BY CENTURIONS WHICH WERE OFFICERS, OR CAPTAINS OF a 100..the second is just..style. The normal Legionaire helmet didnt have crests above. Instead, they were recognized by armour color, such as silver or gold. NETHING ELSE? 8)