RoKMC Challenge Coin

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
6bdeseal.jpg

It's a Republic of Korea Marine Corps 6th Marine Brigade challenge coin given when you complete your tour with the brigade. The scan is obviously of mine ;)

Can you explain the significance of each of the items that make up the coin?
The white gear on the outsid , the dragon, the gold spots (islands?), the Korean language characters on the top, the red & blue areas.

The black dragon is the name of the 6th Marine Brigade. In Korean you'd read that something like "Hook Yong." Stands for "Black Dragon."
The blue part refers to the sea, and the red part on top refers to the sun. No doubt it has some parallel with the symbol on the South Korean flag.
The islands drawn are of the three islands the brigade is responsible for defending. They are drawn where they can fit and they do not reflect their actual locations in relation to the large island (Baekryoung Island - where I served).
I am not sure what the gears on the outside are. Don't think anyone's ever explained that one.
The Korean writing on top is basically what is written in English below it. "6th Brigade, Marine Corps," is what it says literally.

Back