ROE according to some...

Ted

I started this thread after a remark made about the need for ROE. Prior accidents have underlined the need for a set of clear and clean ROE.

But that this can be clouded by political correctness might not come as a surprise. If you think that your soldiers abroad have to walk on egg shells read this and quiver:

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?channel_id=1&story_id=9442

After this went to the highest court in the Netherlands all charges were dropped against him and he filed a suit for €300.000.... to be continued. During the proces all his top secret mission were talked about and the guy who makes the notes wrote it all down. This was later handed over to the media. So we now know what he did during his days as a special forces officer..... unfortunatly so do the guys he helped get busted!

It makes you wonder doesn't it!

From the article the case seems as clear as mud. You have two diametricly opposing versions presented here. I would be interested to hear how this trial (his lawsuit) turns out. Was this perhaps a ploy to try and turn public sentiment against keeping Dutch troops in Iraq?

First of all any soldier shall read, understand and act by the current ROE and SOP of the theatre - second it is a shame information on his military activities was given to the media.

Keep us updated on this one, Ted.

Untill now:

04th of May 2004 he was acquitted of all charges.

29th of October 2004 the DA appeal and loose the trial again.

12th of October 2005 The man filed for suit for €300.000 but the judge gave him €10.000. Small amount for destroying somebodies life isn't it?

Sounds like he was a decent soldier who ended up being god damned cannon fodder in what was most likely a political battle. I'm sure he will find employment with a PMC and make it up in spades, monetarily at least.

Back