rockyite

rockyite

Hi to you all,
My name is Ron, thanks for your welcome. I have no connection with the Military, but I have been asked to turn a exact wooden replica of the 88 mm shell used in the German tiger tanks. I haven't been able to find exact measurements or clearer enough photo's on the web. Would there be someone in the Forum that could help me with this project please.

Ron.

Hi to you all,
My name is Ron, thanks for your welcome. I have no connection with the Military, but I have been asked to turn a exact wooden replica of the 88 mm shell used in the German tiger tanks. I haven't been able to find exact measurements or clearer enough photo's on the web. Would there be someone in the Forum that could help me with this project please.

Ron.
Welcome aboard...
I guess I should ask which Tiger you are building shells for?
The Tiger I used the 8.8cm KwK 36 L/56 which was an 88×571R mm cartridge and the Tiger II used the 8.8cm KwK 43 L/71 gun which was an 88×822R mm cartridge.

Here are a couple of sites that may provide more information...
http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/88mm-antiaircraft-gun/ammunition-german-88-mm-aa-gun.html

Here is a picture of the Tiger II round, in fact all of these drawings and pictures are for the gun used on the Tiger II and not the Tiger I
88cmKwK43TigerII.jpg

and here is a drawing with some dimensions...

kwk43ammo4qm.jpg

and here is a rudimentary drawing I am however not entirely convinced of the accuracy of this one, it is close but seems slightly out in overall length...
flak881.png

Last edited:
Hi MontyB ,

Thanks for that information I didn't say but it was the shell for the tiger 1 that I was looking for but I will look up that site and see what I can find.
Cheers Ron.

Hi MontyB ,

Thanks for that information I didn't say but it was the shell for the tiger 1 that I was looking for but I will look up that site and see what I can find.
Cheers Ron.

Just another couple of pictures...
tankger.jpg

The shell on the right is a Tiger II and the shell beside it is the Tiger I.

Back