Robby DID try to buy into RYR

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
from PRN's Garage Pass Radio Show:
#7 car owner-driver Robby Gordon says he came close on two occasions to a 50-50 partnership with Robert Yates Racing. "I was going to buy Yates. Yes we were. We had funding and sponsorship in place for the 88 car.We have our car funded for the seven car. I wanted to buy half of his two cars. That was the deal that was proposed, so whatever you hear on the other side of the street, I wasn't going to do it unless I could own half of those two cars."
So is any deal with RYR dead in the water? "Before Indianapolis it was dead and then after Indianapolis it was alive and today it's dead so who knows where that is or what's going to happen. It's unfortunate that it's dead because I think I could have been a good coach for the two younger drivers they're going to have in their cars because to date I don't know what they're going to have for experience showing up at the Daytona 500."
What killed the deal? "I don't know.We agreed on everything and the day it was supposed to be done it just didn't happen. I got a call from Robert's attorney that we're (Robert Yates Racing) isn't going to do the deal tomorrow. So it was like, huh? Okay."
It's also unclear as to which manufacturer Gordon will partner with in 2007. "I have had a great relationshp with Chevrolet...obviously I've had past relationships with Ford. Chevrolet has done a great job. They have the best teams in the sport. I can say from a business side right now that with a little bit of luck and to say if we improve as much in 2007 as much as we did in 2006. I could become the second Ford team pretty easy. For me to become the second Chevrolet team we have a lot of work to do. It's really going to come down to who is willing to give us the most amount of resources. We have enough money to race right now...we need more technical support."(PRN's Garage Pass Radio Show)

Back