RNC used fake soldiers for ad.

And I am saying there were other ways to depict that section of the speech/video that would have got the message across without going to the lengths they did.

Exactly. Don't walk over the bodies of service members to further your agenda.

I guess I am just missing what the problem is.
The problem CBS had with the video is that they used "stock footage" and not real soldiers.

There’s the Continental Congress…A real WWII vet…Photos of workers at Ground Zero. A close-up of a folded flag presented to a grieving widow at a military funeral… profiles of soldiers swelling with pride in slo-motion."

"But CBS News found that the footage of the ‘funeral’ and soldiers is what is called ‘stock’ footage. The soldiers were actors and the funeral scene was from a one-day film shoot, produced in June. No real soldiers were used during production." quote CBS article

CBS had no problem with the story line of the video or the video itself.The girls essay is a story line as told by the flag. It talks about being there with the signing of the Constitution, being there at ground zero, just about the flag being there when various events in history occurred.

I am guessing people aren't watching the real video. They are watching the AirAmerica video.
Here is the real video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTF-jO7NvIM&feature=player_embedded

And if you watch it listen to the girls essay.

I just don't see this video as exploiting our military personnel. We had similar videos during the patriotic rally at the VFW National Convention.

MontyB what specifically in the video bothers you?

Maybe the problem is the misleading title to this thread. RNC used fake soldiers for ad
This video was not an ad or commerical it was part of the convention program.

Last edited:
Guess you miss alotta stuff huh?

A service members funeral real or imagined should not be used to further a political agenda.

Really is thay so hard to comprehend........or do you want sources?

Whatever keep babblin on and defending "the industry"

It was in bad taste and thats my opion. Your opinion may differ and I give a damn...........not

Maybe the problem is the misleading title to this thread. RNC used fake soldiers for ad

No that is not the problem.
The problem is you.
RNC = Check.
Fake soldiers = actors portraying soldiers with no disclaimer of not being real soldiers or any indication that they are actors. Check.
Ad = Part of a convention program, but still an ad nonetheless. It is possible to run advertisements about your pharmacy on an LCD display inside your pharmacy. It's still an advertisement, check.

MontyB what specifically in the video bothers you?

I tend to go along with the others here in the belief that you should not use a funeral to push a political agenda, I just think it is poor taste to do so.

There is nothing wrong with the girls essay nor is there anything wrong with 90% of the video (if you like that sort of stuff) but I think they blew it with that one small segment.

The essay is being mentioned because it is the basis for the video so it is not out of place to discuss it, they clearly tried to line up video images to suit each point in the essay and for the most part they did it well.

I guess if you want to base opinion solely off the use of "fake soldiers" then to be honest I don't have an issue with that either after all there are tons of TV shows and movies jam packed with fake soldiers that no body really complains about, my only issue with the whole thing is in using a death to score political points.

Back