RNC shells out $150K for Palin fashion ......

Chief Bones

Forums Grumpy Old Man
I'm sure some in here will compare this to Edwards $400 haircut and be just as outraged as I am.

Others, will use a double standard and say they see nothing wrong.

Which one are you?????????

The Republican National Committee has spent more than $150,000 to clothe and accessorize vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and her family since her surprise pick by John McCain in late August.

According to financial disclosure records, the accessorizing began in early September and included bills from Saks Fifth Avenue in St. Louis and New York for a combined $49,425.74.

The records also document a couple of big-time shopping trips to Neiman Marcus in Minneapolis, including one $75,062.63 spree in early September.

The RNC also spent $4,716.49 on hair and makeup through September after reporting no such costs in August.

The business of primping and dressing on the campaign trail has become fraught with political risk in recent years as voters increasingly see an elite Washington out of touch with their values and lifestyles.

In 2000, Democrat Al Gore took heat for changing his clothing hues. And in 2006, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) was ribbed for two hair styling sessions that cost about $3,000.

Then, there was Democrat John Edwards’ $400 hair cuts in 2007 and Republican McCain’s $520 black leather Ferragamo shoes this year.

A review of similar records for the campaign of Democrat Barack Obama and the Democratic National Committee turned up no similar spending
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

Absolutely fallin down funny ...

What is really absolutely fallin down funny ...

Is the fact that the "fiscally conservative"/"fiscally responsible" party (GOP), is using money from contributors to dress this "Barbie Doll" pretender AND her family. Included was clothing, makeup and hairdressers.

As the Other Guy said, my house and ten acres of land didn't even cost me that much. I could have bought 5 complete homesteads for $150,000 bucks and still have had money left over.

A word in your little shell-likes, Guys.:lol:

She may be weary,

Women do get weary;

Wearing that same shabby dress.

And when she's weary,

Try a little tenderness.:thumb:

She may be waiting,

Just anticipating,

Things she may never possess.

While she's without them,

Try a little tenderness.

What is really absolutely fallin down funny ...

Is the fact that the "fiscally conservative"/"fiscally responsible" party (GOP), is using money from contributors to dress this "Barbie Doll" pretender AND her family. Included was clothing, makeup and hairdressers.

As the Other Guy said, my house and ten acres of land didn't even cost me that much. I could have bought 5 complete homesteads for $150,000 bucks and still have had money left over.

Is this really such a big deal?

Both parties have wasted millions on electioneering what is $150k between friends.

I really have the impression that the average voter has more on his/her mind right now than Obama's hair cut or Palin's shoes and if they don't then I am not sure they should be voting.

Last edited:
Given how much appearance matters in elections, I'm not gonna say boo, Kennedy won debates with Nixon in the eyes of many people because he looked more calm and relaxed, he was also weary make up to help hide those worry lines. McCain, Obama and Biden are all wearing suits that cost thousands of dollars and nobody say anything about that, bit of a double standard here to pick on the woman for doing so and not the men.

Besides, it's not like I donated money to the RNC or DNC so they can do what they want with their money, better to spend it on clothes than advertising in my area, less of a headache for me. Women's clothing is all more expensive anyways and lets be honest, Palin and the RNC were really selling the whole beauty queen thing earlier and when that's all she brings to the ticket (other than a record in public office slightly longer if less prominent than Obama's) then the RNC would be out of their minds not to run with it till the tank is empty.

LOL I read primping as pimping.

Anyways, as long as they're not spending taxpayer money there's nothing wrong with this. They have the money, it's theirs to flush down the drain on irrelevant stuff. Don't like it? Don't donate to the party.

Palin claims, innaccurate and misleading .....

Given how much appearance matters in elections, I'm not gonna say boo, Kennedy won debates with Nixon in the eyes of many people because he looked more calm and relaxed, he was also weary make up to help hide those worry lines. McCain, Obama and Biden are all wearing suits that cost thousands of dollars and nobody say anything about that, bit of a double standard here to pick on the woman for doing so and not the men.

Besides, it's not like I donated money to the RNC or DNC so they can do what they want with their money, better to spend it on clothes than advertising in my area, less of a headache for me. Women's clothing is all more expensive anyways and lets be honest, Palin and the RNC were really selling the whole beauty queen thing earlier and when that's all she brings to the ticket (other than a record in public office slightly longer if less prominent than Obama's) then the RNC would be out of their minds not to run with it till the tank is empty.

Maybe YOU didn't donate money to either party ... however, had I donated money to the Republican's war chest and the RNC spent the money on Palin (beauty queen or otherwise) ... I would be outraged and very very angry. Let's face it, much of the money comes from "Joe Six Packs", and some of them are having problems shopping at Target let alone at Nieman Marcus or Saks Fifth Avenue where the bill was five digits at each of them (49K and 75K). To my knowledge, neither Obama nor McCain has used campaign money to pay for their clothing.

BTW - FactCheck has determined that the claim that Palin has more executive experience than Obama is misleading. When you take into account the senatorial business that Obama conducted while the Senate was in recess, Obama has more days in office dealing with America's business, than Palin has dealing with Alaska's business (and Palin's numbers include the 300 or so days that Palin spent in her hometown while drawing perdiem pay.

FactCheck.org finding {John McCain 2008 tv ad: "Alaska Maverick"}:
Praise in Context

The ad uses a partial quote – she "has a record of bi-partisan reform" from an Aug. 29 Associated Press report. Those words do appear in the article, but so do several others that aren't as flattering.

In fact, the AP report raises some questions about Palin's credentials, saying: "She is younger and less experienced than the first-term Illinois senator, and brings an ethical shadow to the ticket." It also says, "Palin's lack of experience undercuts GOP charges that Obama is not ready to be commander in chief."

If you are interested in truth ... use the http://www.factcheck.org/ site.

Appearance matters, this is how we (the voting public) expect our law makers to dress in public and it costs money. Don't understand why you're getting so upset about this, politicians have been wearing tailored clothing for centuries and it's not cheap to get a suit that matches their exact form, huge double standard here to say "This is what we expect you to wear now go out there and get it done but don't spend more than $20 on a dress." How much do you think Hillary's pant suits cost her?

But yes, let's complain about the fact that a woman spent $150,000 on clothing for herself and her family to meet the standards set forth by society and completely ignore the hypocrisy of those double standards. Let's be especially vocal about this $150,000 in particular in a campaign that could likely see over $1 billion spent by all the candidates in the middle of such a massive financial crisis that was caused by out of control spending on luxury items that were well beyond the buyer's means.

As for why the RNC doled out the cash for Palin and not the millionaire Presidential candidates, perhaps it's because Cindy McCain is loaded and Barack and Michelle, while not having that kind of money, have an annual income in the 7 digit area and if memory serves me correct, the McCain's and Obama's have a combined three kids. Kids aren't cheap, especially not in Alaska or Hawaii where everything has to be brought in by ship or plane.

Would you rather see her in the Alaskan jeans and tee shirts?
I could definitely put up with that. As much as I feel she is not suited for VP of anything much larger than perhaps a town council, there is no denying that she is a very "tidy" looking lady. I think she is one who could look very becoming in Jeans and Tee shirt.

I don't care what they spend their money on. If I had a candidate on a national stage, I'd want her to look as good as possible. This is not an issue.

Last edited:
I don't care what they spend their money on. If I had a candidate on a national stage, I'd want her to look as good as possible. This is not an issue.

I agree in essence, the only part that rubs me is that these same people cry foul when Edwards or Clinton spend $400 of their own money for a haircut but don't batter an eyelash about $150,000 of party money doing the samething.

The is a major turn off of the Republican party, their motto of "do as I say not as I do". Its the hypocrisy, not the $150,000 itself that annoys me.

Kind of like "I never had sex with that woman." or "We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans..."? You know as well as I do that it's just politicians making noise.

Last edited:
Maybe the RNC could take a few lessons of obtaining "cold, hard cash" for such expenditures from Representative Jefferson.

WASHINGTON, May 21 — The F.B.I. accused Representative William J. Jefferson, Democrat of Louisiana, on Sunday of taking hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes from a Kentucky businessman and stashing $90,000 from the scheme in his home freezer in Washington.
Skip to next paragraph
22jefferson1.190.jpg
Alex Brandon/Associated Press
Representative William J. Jefferson has denied accusations of bribery, most recently at a news conference last Monday in New Orleans.

Related

F.B.I. Searches Official's Office in Ethics Inquiry (May 21, 2006)

22jefferson2.190.jpg
Lauren Victoria Burke/Associated Press
F.B.I. agents loaded a van Sunday after a raid on Representative William J. Jefferson's offices.

The accusations appeared in court documents that were made public only hours after a team of 15 agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation completed an all-night search of Mr. Jefferson's Congressional offices. F.B.I. officials said the raid, which began about 7:15 p.m. Saturday and ended early Sunday afternoon, was the first the agency had ever conducted at a lawmaker's office on Capitol Hill.

Right now, the hottest item on the international fashion accessory front is ..............................ta-ra......... Sarah Palin eye-glasses. Selling in millions!

Looks like a big television career could await if and when her politikin' ends.

Right now, the hottest item on the international fashion accessory front is ..............................ta-ra......... Sarah Palin eye-glasses. Selling in millions!

Are you kidding?
The woman has a voice made for silent movies.

I believe the Left would argue that those are Tina Fey glasses.

Back