RMC Sandhurst

lljadw

Why was the RMC Sandhurst closed in september 1939(the website not mentioning what happened in 1914) while(if my informations are correct:-| ) West point and St Cyr stayed open ?

September 1939 was the start of WW2....Now America did not join in for another couple of years and West Point were not in range of German bombers

September 1939 was the start of WW2....Now America did not join in for another couple of years and West Point were not in range of German bombers
I know:some "visit" of the Luftwaffe, but was the closing-down no great disadvantage for the British Army:6 years no reinforcements of trained officers? An other point:after the war Woolwich was absorbed by Sandhurst and the barracks were eventually sold. Why was there before the war a need of 2 military academys and after the war one was superfluous. Savings? the cost of 2 military academys beying neglectable ?And why was Woolwich the victim? Maybe the Sandhurstlobby more powerfull:-| ?

I think you will find that because of operational requirements at the time the training of officers became more focused and "on the job".

Back