RMC: Duntroon or ADFA?

S-70A

I'm interested in joining the Australian Army as a Helicopter Pilot but I'm not sure which way would be the best path to joining, through Duntroon or ADFA.

Is there anyone that has become Army Officers through either of these Colleges?

RMC is direct entry pilot, and ADFA you have to earn your Degree.
It depends on what you want really. A lot of pilot candidates go through ADFA because they earn a Bachelors in Avionics, but
there are pilot candidates who go through RMC.

There are two kids in my grade, who wish to enter the ADF as pilots, one is applying to go to ADFA, the other who wishes to be Helicopter Pilot is applying to go to RMC.
In regards to ADFA, the UAI (University Admission Index) is the same as that of UNSW, so you not only have to pass ADF Requirements, but UNSW as well.

I've been reading up on all this and it looks like Army Pilots have to spend 4 years at ADFA AND 1 year at Duntroon. I think I'll pass on that.

RMC all the way.

With ADFA I think the degrees help a lot later in your career but am not sure. Lots of Engineers and Logos go this way.
All RAAF pilots are now ADFA graduates. I don't think any are direct entry from other uni's any more.....
Good luck either way.

I don't think any are direct entry from other uni's any more.....
Good luck either way.
There is and it's called OTRS (officer tertiary recruitment scheme). You do your degree outside the army. They pay you while you study and they pay for your degree, while your at uni you parade at your regional reserve officer training unit (University Regiment). Once you've finished your degree you go to RMC anyway.

The only benefit I can see about getting a degree through ADFA instead of direct entry is that you get an extra $2000 give or take, per year.

Compared to becoming a full pilot 2 years earlier, I think I'll choose direct entry. And anyway its not about the money, its about the experience.

Thanks for the help everyone. (except RAinf)

Sorry mate, I just found it funny the way you said it, because your attitude towards RMC will change once you get there.

Nick, I notice that the person in your bottom picture is holding a steyr. I'm just interested to know how that gun is pronounced. I'm guessing its pronounced like 'Stay-ere' or 'Steer'... Am I right in either case?

Well firstly the person in the picture is me at MBTA.
Secondly it is pronounced "sti-er". Like Sti like a "pig sty" and "er" like in "her". Just call it an F88 and you can't go wrong.

Back