RM Throws Him Self On Grenade & Lives

LeEnfield

Sorry the article has dropped to the bottom of the page
(fixed. Red.)

Heroic marine throws himself on grenade

By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent

Last Updated: 2:02am BST 31/03/2008

form.gif

A Royal Marine could receive the highest award for gallantry after he saved the lives of his comrades by throwing himself onto an exploding grenade in Afghanistan, it has been reported.
Lance Corporal Matt Croucher amazingly survived the incident despite shrapnel peppering his helmet during the explosion.
nhero130.jpg
L/Cpl Croucher's backpack was thrown more than 30ft in the explosion
His extraordinary courage, which could lead to a citation for the Victoria Cross, came after a tripwire booby-trap was stepped on during a nighttime mission outside the town of Sangin, Helmand province.

A live hand-grenade was released threatening to blow up L/Cpl Croucher, 24 and the rest of the patrol.

The marine shouted "grenade" and as his friends dived for cover L/Cpl Croucher lay with his back on the lethal device.

The patrol commander, Corporal Adam Lesley threw himself to the ground and another man got behind a wall, but one marine had frozen and was still standing when the grenade detonated.
"My reaction was, 'My God this can't be real'," said Cpl Lesley. "Croucher had simply lain back and used his day sack to blunt the force of the explosion. You would expect nine out of 10 people to die in that situation."
With fuses that can last several seconds the men waited for what "felt like a lifetime" before the grenade blew up.
The marine's backpack, thought to contain ammunition, was thrown more than 30ft and sent a burning radio battery flying through the air.
advertisement

L/Cpl Croucher, who suffered a bleeding nose and shock, was saved by the special plating inside his Osprey body armour. He almost certainly saved the life of Marine Scott Easter who had "just completely frozen".
"All I could hear was a loud ringing and the faint sound of people shouting 'are you ok? Are you ok?'" L/Cpl Croucher, a reservist from Birmingham, told the News of the World.
"Then I felt one of the lads giving me a top to toe check. My head was ringing. Blood was streaming from my nose. It took 30 seconds before I realised I was definitely not dead," he added.
Cpl Lesley said: "He had shrapnel in his helmet, in the plate of his body armour, but he was basically okay.
"His day sack had taken the blast."
The action happened on Feb 9 as the reconnaissance troop from 40 Commando went to search a bomb-making factory in a compound out Sangin.
A Ministry of Defence statement said: "L/Cpl Croucher has displayed incredible bravery in his action in Afghanistan. His bravery could well be recognised through some form of gallantry award in due course along with other personnel from the latest deployment to Afghanistan."

Few realize how much of a blessing a rucksack really is. Grats to our British friend for putting the mission first in a dire situation.

Two questions:

How badly was he hurt? I mean, he was on top of a grenade.

and

Does he get to go home now? Would someone that dedicated even want to?

Thank God for the gallant. There are still some around who will offer their own life to save others.:salute2:

Here I was expecting to read a story about someone who would be receiving an award posthumously. I'm with 13th Redneck here, lucky, brave bastard. Huge victory for the body armor too, wow, that's just simply amazing. Bet he never complains about having to carry a heavy pack in the future. ;)

He should get the Victoria Cross, and I'd knight him...

Absolutely, 100% agree!

In a world where we throw "hero" around like it has lost all meaning, this brave man -- this true warrior -- has reset the standard. A coconut sack that could easily hold a pair of Volkswagen Beetles.

I salute my across-the-pond brother and the leaders that trained him.

Hmmm, word I've heard around the Battalion is that he isn't elligible for the VC as it wasn't in direct enemy action and therefore will only be elligible for the Military Cross. Don't know how accurate that is, but it'll be a damn shame if it gets downgraded.

Hmmm, word I've heard around the Battalion is that he isn't elligible for the VC as it wasn't in direct enemy action and therefore will only be elligible for the Military Cross. Don't know how accurate that is, but it'll be a damn shame if it gets downgraded.

It was a FRIENDLY grenade? 'Cause otherwise, "direct enemy contact" is exactly what it is given the range of a thrown frag.

WTF?

That's the thing, it wasn't thrown. It was set off via a tripwire. And that technically isn't "direct" enemy fire.

That's the thing, it wasn't thrown. It was set off via a tripwire. And that technically isn't "direct" enemy fire.

OH

Still, I would consider that "direct enemy contact." I doubt his troops that he saved would see it otherwise, as well.

Seems to me that this is a case where the leadership in charge of interpreting the regulations for award recommendation need to view the valor and the testimony of his men, rather than the cut sheets.

The man is a hero. We don't serve for pretty ribbons, but the man should receive an accommodation in accordance with his ACTIONS versus the circumstances. And in this case, I personally believe that the VC is definitely warranted.

Just my opinion.

Back