The rise and fall of democracy

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
The rise and fall of democracy. An interesting study.
HOW LONG DO WE HAVE in the USA?

This is the most interesting thing I've read in a long time. The sad thing about it, you can see it coming.

I have always heard about this democracy countdown. It is interesting to see it in print. God help us, not that we deserve it.

About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh , had this to say about the fall of the
Athenian Republic some 2,000 years earlier:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government."

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury."

"From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years"

"During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following sequence:

1. from bondage to spiritual faith;

2. from spiritual faith to great courage;

3. from courage to liberty;

4. from liberty to abundance;

5. from abundance to complacency;

6. from complacency to apathy;

7. from apathy to dependence;

8. From dependence back into bondage"

Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Gore: 19 Bush: 29

Square miles of land won by: Gore: 580,000 Bush: 2,427,000

Population of counties won by: Gore: 127 million Bush: 143 million

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Gore: 13.2 Bush: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory Bush won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of this great country. Gore's territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare.." Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegal's and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

If you are in favor of this then delete this message if you are not then pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.

Thanks for reading

:evil:

I agree with the pattern.
I'll hold my thoughts on that thing with the whole Gore voters having higher crime levels. I think it's got a point but I don't want to jump into that just yet. It'd require a pretty detailed response.

What we see nowadays is this whole idea with "I deserve this," "I deserve that." I think we're at that stage where it's going from apathy to dependence and probably in either stage you'll have plenty of both.
If democracy fails in America, so be it. People who cannot be responsible for themselves do not deserve to be free.
A little dictatorship to bring some focus and discipline back to the country isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it's going to be pretty damn painful if such a thing happens. But you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet.

Sh!t. Atleast I'm in the army and if it turns into total dependence/bondage I can beat the **** out of people that turned my country to ****.

I go along with those 8 points, although i do not associate them with the American example at this time.

Here in England is a different matter - a soft underbelly, an Troy undefended against the great elephantine Trojan horse in our midst. Apologizing for our own existence, rejecting the golden baton handed down to us by our our hero ancestors and the blood they shed for us.

I go along with those 8 points, although i do not associate them with the American example at this time.

Here in England is a different matter - a soft underbelly, an Troy undefended against the great elephantine Trojan horse in our midst. Apologizing for our own existence, rejecting the golden baton handed down to us by our our hero ancestors and the blood they shed for us.

"Our hero ancestors" didn't always do nice things. They were human just like us.

Yep. You'll realize they hunted things down into extinction and messed up the environment as well. They just had a smaller capacity to do it. Not to mention they killed each other off pretty often as well.
Go a bit further north and they even ate people.

"Our hero ancestors" didn't always do nice things. They were human just like us.

You guys can speak for your ancestors - I was speaking only of mine. No-one is suggesting that anyone was perfect but they sweated, fought and died and passed on to us here a heritage to be proud of, and I stand with them. In my personal experience, which covers all of the 20th century plus a bit, the ones I knew and lived amongst were most definitely heroes struggling and ready to sacrifice their lives for future generations.

"For your tomorrows, we gave our todays." Heroes.

So I repeat my last post - I agree with the model, but I do not see America in the later stages at this point. Unlike us here.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Bush is the one pushing us towards a dictatorship, just read the PATRIOT Act, look at all those executive orders, and the extreme secrecy of this administration. It's maddening that no one cares enough to even read the laws that are ruining this country.

At least if this country falls to dictatorship some of us will have firearms. Death is very much preferable to slavery.

I still can't see USA as in any danger of losing its powerful democracy at this stage. It is still vibrant and motivated. The problem is - can it drag the rest of the world with it until democracy has time to embed elsewhere. I don't recognise decadence in USA yet. And you are armed!

Just how long have we had a Parliamentary system in the UK, like every thing thing it it should change and evolve with the passing of time and needs of time. The only reason it might collapse is if it became stagnant and failed to change to meet the needs of the people that it should serve

Back