The right place to ask for this info.

--

June 3rd, 2004  
Italian Guy

Topic: The right place to ask for this info.

Hey all. I need to have tons of info about US military. How many branches? USN, USAF, US Army, USMC... any more ? Is USMC a branch on its own?
Where do the Seals, the Rangers, Delta and other forces fall within?
Is the National Guard a military element?

What are all the ranks? Is the range of ranks different from one branch to another? what are their top chiefs? whats a commander compared to a Major? Are this forum ranks mutuated from Army ranks?
I need an overall view on it. Any link or suggestions to learn about it? I am positive this is the right place to ask for help.

And please dont make fun of me because I'm so sick ignorant. You guys feel free to ask about my country.
June 3rd, 2004  
Snauhi

yes USMC is a branch of its own, and u forgot USCG coast guards, seals are part of navy as far as i know , delta is army, and rangers is army too , but i am not sure
June 3rd, 2004  
Redleg

Topic: Re: The right place to ask for this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianGuy4US
What are all the ranks? Is the range of ranks different from one branch to another? what are their top chiefs? whats a commander compared to a Major? Are this forum ranks mutuated from Army ranks?
I need an overall view on it. Any link or suggestions to learn about it? I am positive this is the right place to ask for help.
I can at least help you with this one:
http://www.military-ranks.com/

And the forum ranks are Army ranks. (missing a few NCOs..)
--
June 3rd, 2004  
JaegerWolf08

USMC is NOT a branch of its own. It falls under the Dept. of the Navy. The US Coast Guard is not a branch of its own. It falls under Dept. of Homeland Security. National Guard is a reserve component of the US Army,
June 4th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

http://www.nightscribe.com/Military/...y_branches.htm
June 4th, 2004  
Italian Guy

Thank you everyone. That IS helpful.
I think I didnt get it all about USMC. Jaeger said it falls under the Navy but FutureRanger's link considers it as a branch on its own.
Thank you tho.
June 4th, 2004  
Rotty261

Technically the Marine Corp is under the Department of the Navy but I belive it is still considered it's own branch of the Military. SEALs are in the Navy, Delta, Rangers, Green Berets, and Airborne are Army, PJ's and Combat Controllers are Air Force and Force Recon is Marine Corp.
June 4th, 2004  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotty261
Technically the Marine Corp is under the Department of the Navy but I belive it is still considered it's own branch of the Military. SEALs are in the Navy, Delta, Rangers, Green Berets, and Airborne are Army, PJ's and Combat Controllers are Air Force and Force Recon is Marine Corp.
Thank you Rotty. What are PJ's for ?
June 4th, 2004  
Mark Conley

PJs are Air Force search and rescue...Para-rescue. They are the guys that are trained to bring a pilot or other Air Force aircrew asset back alive...where the person could be lost on the land, sea, or in the Air..AF Pararescue will go get them

In short they are taught to shoot, parachute, advanced emergency medicine, escape and evasion, patient transportation, scuba dive, skin dive, HALO parachuting, and generally really mess up the enemy that are trying to take their rescued person away from them.

http://www.msc.navy.mil/inventory/ci...tsenbarger.htm here one story of what one PJ did in Vietnam

June 4th, 2004  
Italian Guy

Wow thanks Mark. I'm now getting to see what the most powerful military in the world is all about.