The right to defend oneself in the UK - Page 2

View Poll Results :Should people in the UK be allowed to own firearms for self-defence?
YES, but I am an American 11 47.83%
NO, but I am an American 2 8.70%
YES, and I am from the UK or Europe 3 13.04%
NO, and I am from the UK or Europe 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

October 29th, 2004  
ravensword227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowalker
Why dont we europeans all take karate/judo/jujitsu lessons as a form of self defence if we are behind in the civil right of self-defense, its a safer option.
Hojitsu (the way of the gun), is also a martial art, and my Hojitsu is stronger than yours 8) . (Ka Pow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Becuase, when you take even the best Karate expert, and someone with a gun, and put 5-15 meters between them, the Karate guy is in for a mouth full of lead....
Quoted for truth.
October 29th, 2004  
cbbr08

http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/Crime

heres the stats... its pretty interesting
October 30th, 2004  
Shadowalker

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3868411.stm
(scroll down to the stats link)
--
Boots
October 31st, 2004  
Missileer

Topic: Guns

Remember, "God created Man, Colonel Colt made them equal". One can be beaten to death with fists and size 16 boots by some ex convict who was able to pump up while in prison and can bench 600 lbs.
Gun control is simply defined as how steady one holds his weapon when lining up a shot, the one that could save your life.
November 1st, 2004  
SFC

I think all gun owners should be members of the NRA or other organiztions that represent us as a lobbiest for gun ownership.

I believe whether you are a gun owner or not everyone should support the Second Amendment for the simple reason if abolished it will only be a matter of time till the other nine amendments will follow

SFC
November 1st, 2004  
Shadowalker

In the uk we dont have the 2nd amendment.
November 1st, 2004  
SHERMAN

That is true. But this is not an issue of nationality. Not allowing people to carry weapons for self defence is to consider everyone a criminal. In Israel the gun rules are very strict(unlike what you would expect). Its hard to get a a gun lisence unless you have extremely good reasons. This is a very bad situation in my eyes. If you have no prior criminal record, and you are metally capable, there should not be a reason to keep you from owning a gun.
November 1st, 2004  
larsrq

I've posted my views before here somewere. But I'll say it again. I don't think that allowing people to carry guns will solve any problems when it comes to violent crimes. I live in Sweden and here it's almost impossible to get permit to own a gun, especially handgun. Hunting rifle is somewhat easier.

I'm a Captain Airforce reserve and I'm not allowed to have military weapons at home. Because I don't need it.

Thats my views anyway.
November 1st, 2004  
Shadowalker

If you look at the stats on the bbc page i posted, allowing people to own guns does not seem to make much fifference to violent crime, in fact in the US, Canada and Switzeland where people can own guns violent crime is higher per 100'000 than in the UK, Sweden - countries who dont allow gun ownership.
December 3rd, 2004  
beardo

This country is ****ing ridiculous

People should be allowed to defend their homes and themselfs....maybe not with guns...but they should not go to jail for injuring some low-life scumbag trying to rob them blind