Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill (USA)

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
The Stearns Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill​
[SIZE=-1]U.S. Rep. Cliff Stearns` (R-Fla.) national Right-to-Carry (RTC) reciprocity bill, H.R. 4547, would allow any person with a valid concealed firearm carrying permit or license, issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any other state, as follows: In states that issue concealed firearm permits, a state`s laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its own borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal "bright-line" standard would permit carrying in places other than police stations; courthouses; public polling places; meetings of state, county, or municipal governing bodies; schools; passenger areas of airports; and certain other locations. H.R. 4547 would also apply to D.C., Puerto Rico and U.S. territories. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would require the states to recognize each others` carry permits, just as they recognize drivers` licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Today, 46 states have laws permitting concealed carry, in some circumstances. Thirty-eight states, accounting for two-thirds of the U.S. population, have RTC laws. Thirty-four have "shall issue" permit laws (including Alaska, which also allows carrying without a permit), three have fairly administered "discretionary issue" permit laws, and Vermont allows carrying without a permit. (Eight states have restrictive discretionary issue laws.) Most RTC states have adopted their laws during the last decade.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Citizens with carry permits are more law-abiding than the general public. Only 0.02% of more than a half million permits issued by Florida have been revoked because of firearm crimes by permit holders. Similarly low percentages of permits have been revoked in Texas, Virginia, and other RTC states that keep such statistics. RTC is widely supported by law enforcement officials and groups.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]States with RTC laws have lower violent crime rates. On average, 21% lower total violent crime, 28% lower murder, 43% lower robbery, and 13% lower aggravated assault, compared to the rest of the country. Nine of the 10 states with the lowest violent crime rates are RTC states. (Data: FBI.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Crime declines in states with RTC laws. Since adopting RTC in 1987, Florida`s total violent crime and murder rates have dropped 31% and 52%, respectively. Texas` violent crime and murder rates have dropped 19% and 33%, respectively, since its 1996 RTC law. (Data: FBI.)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]The right of self-defense is fundamental, and has been recognized in law for centuries. The Declaration of Independence asserts that "life" is among the unalienable rights of all people. The Second Amendment guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms for "security."[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]The laws of all states and constitutions of most states recognize the right to use force in self-defense. The Supreme Court has stated that a person "may repel force by force" in self-defense, and is "entitled to stand his ground and meet any attack made upon him with a deadly weapon, in such a way and with such force" as needed to prevent "great bodily injury or death." (Beard v. U.S., 1895)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Congress affirmed the right to guns for "protective purposes" in the Gun Control Act (1968) and Firearm Owners` Protection Act (1986). In 1982, the Senate Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on the Constitution described the right to arms as "a right of the individual citizen to privately possess and carry in a peaceful manner firearms and similar arms."[/SIZE]
Posted: 1/31/2006
http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=189

I gotta love Florida, We created the idea of a CCW and now we are pushing a bill so that anyone that has a CCW can carry in any state. SUpport this bill, it will lead to better things. Write, email, and call you Congressmen/Congresswomen and tell them to support this bill. Make sure it passes.

Fox said:
Sound nice! Do Texas have right to carry weapon without a permit?
If you are hunting you can carry a firearm in the open. But that's it. In Texas I believe that you can only conceal carry a weapon for presonal protection. No open carry for general reason unless hunting.

Texas does have a CCW and they do allow anyone from Florida with a Florida CCW to carry in Texas. So I'm happy either way.

For more information on what you state does and does not allow for the carrying of firearms. Check out http://www.packing.org/. That have a tone of info.

I'd only support this if ALL states start to require standard safety and proficiency courses prior to the permits being issue. As it is now, some states do not require anything but the background check and the fee, and you get your CCW in the mail.

I'd only support this if ALL states start to require standard safety and proficiency courses prior to the permits being issue. As it is now, some states do not require anything but the background check and the fee, and you get your CCW in the mail.

Chances are if your applying for a CCW you probally know how to shoot a pistol.

Rabs said:
Chances are if your applying for a CCW you probally know how to shoot a pistol.

Who says you KNOW how to? You? How do I know? I don't trust a lot of civil LE officers to shoot properly, much less your average civilian. That isn't a slam on the police, either, it's just a fact that they do not get enough range time through most departments.

I know quite a few people that had their CCW before they purchased their first handgun.

There is a lot of irresponsible gun owners out there, it doesn't hurt our Constitutional rights to want them to be up to snuff, even if just a little before they are allowed to carry in different states.

NC requires everyone to go through a couple of courses. Indiana doesn't. Why should it be okay for someone in Indiana that hasn't at least shown his knowledge of basic safety and proficiency with his weapon to carry in NC?

If most know how to shoot, they won't mind going through a few hours of class time/range time. That's all I'm saying.

Because sometimes some folks grow up around firearms. I have a good friend from Georgia thhat grew up hunting. He's never taken a course for shooting and shoots like any other champion shooter.

What what about the damn Driver's License. Half of the idiots on the road drive worse than some people shoot.

Firearms have less points of control than a a car. Don't knock it till you tired it.

5.56X45mm said:
Because sometimes some folks grow up around firearms. I have a good friend from Georgia thhat grew up hunting. He's never taken a course for shooting and shoots like any other champion shooter.

What what about the damn Driver's License. Half of the idiots on the road drive worse than some people shoot.

Firearms have less points of control than a a car. Don't knock it till you tired it.

Try what? Driving: Check. Firearms: Check. I grew up around them. My Dad was an SOG guy. In my unit we can put more rounds downrange in a month than most units get to in an entire year. (Yay budget).

That said, people still have to test before they can drive, every state requires this. And before I support anything that allows someone to carry from state to state, I would like to think there is a standard safety and proficiency course for everyone out there.

Just because someone grew up around firearms, doesn't mean they are proficient with them. If they are as good as they think they are, and know as much as they think they know, the course would be a cake walk for them. No harm done either way.

Well, each state might have a driver's test. But not all driver's test are the same. Your point is moot in that regard. You think that someone from a state with a CCW that has lower standards isn't right. Well, it happens all the time with driving.

In my opinion. No one should need a CCW. If they want to conceal carry, they can. If they want to open carry, they can. If they want to own a fully automatic, supressed ar-15 with a Beta-C drum. Sure why the hell not.

As Americans, you have the legal right to own what ever firearm you wanted. The 2nd Amendment was written about duck hunting.

Constitution of the United States of America, Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Florida State Constitution Article I, Section 8. Right to Bear Arms.--

(a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law.
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Last edited:
5.56X45mm said:
Well, each state might have a driver's test. But not all driver's test are the same. Your point is moot in that regard. You think that someone from a state with a CCW that has lower standards isn't right. Well, it happens all the time with driving.

My point isn't moot at all. Check out: DMV.Org

Standard requirements for obtaining a drivers license often include drivers education training, a written test and a driving test.

If you scroll down you will see all of the states and their requirements, the requirements for obtaining a DL are pretty standard across the board. Written, eyesight, signs and driving test.

Now, let's add in your point about how many bad drivers are on the road and they all pretty much go through the same requirements. Guns aren't much different than vehicles. The owner/operator needs to be familiar with the object and responsible for it and their actions using it.

In my opinion. No one should need a CCW. If they want to conceal carry, they can. If they want to open carry, they can. If they want to own a fully automatic, supressed ar-15 with a Beta-C drum. Sure why the hell not.

I'm fine with people wanting to carry. I've carried for years. However, I'm not fine with it being completely unregulated and neither is the Constitution.

Nothing I've proposed violates anyone's 2nd Amendment right, in fact, it holds pretty well on with what is written.

Anyone that would refuse to take a basic safety and proficiency course is suspect in my eyes. The same for anyone feeling background checks shouldn't be a necessity when they purchase a firearm.

So again, before I would ever support any bill making it legal to carry from state to state, all states would have to impliment some type of training/testing standards. If they did that, I'd be on board.

What I don't address, and what you may not think I recognize is the government's ability to abuse something like this. It's a Catch 22.

I am just glad I don't life there! What if you carry your hand cannon and you decide to have a beer or four? Crime might be down (although I hardly believe they became honest citizens... so where are they?) but I reckon accidental deaths and man slaughter-charges will soar.

Just curious 5.56, could I carry my assault rifle on my back while shopping in the mall? Or how does this work?

Ted said:
I am just glad I don't life there! What if you carry your hand cannon and you decide to have a beer or four? Crime might be down (although I hardly believe they became honest citizens... so where are they?) but I reckon accidental deaths and man slaughter-charges will soar.

Just curious 5.56, could I carry my assault rifle on my back while shopping in the mall? Or how does this work?

Conceal carry is for handguns only and you can't get a permit if you've been convicted.

I have yet to see a bar that allows firearms, and people aren't generally dumb enough to ignore those signs. Chances are, if you see someone with a gun in a bar, he doesn't own it legally or have a permit to carry it.

Getting drunk doesn't make you a criminal, just because somebody is drunk and has a firearm, doesn't mean he is going to shoot someone. With or without a gun, if you're prone to being overly violent, you can kill someone.

CCW permits have been around for years so far, and manslaughter charges haven't soared yet.

And about the malls, every mall I have ever been in has a "no firerarms" policy as well.

Yes, but in Florida, those signs have no legal authority. You must be told in person that you cannot carry a concealed firearm.

And concealed is just that. NOT VISIBLE. I am for open carry, and open carry means that you can carry a rifle on your back.

It is illegel for someone to carry a firearm into a bar. And by Florida law, a bar is a place that makes 51% or more of it's profits by the selling and consumption of alcohol in it's structure. Now if it's a resturant that sells alcohol, you can still carry there. The only time you can open carry in Florida is if you are hunting, fishing, camping, place of work if allowed by employer, in your own home, or shooting at a shooting range or at a outdoor place that allows shooting like a state park or camp site.

I have open carry in Colorado. Cops there don't give a damn either. They've seen my toys and the only thing they have done is asked me how much it costs to build a AR-15 like mine.

5.56X45mm said:
It is illegel for someone to carry a firearm into a bar. And by Florida law, a bar is a place that makes 51% or more of it's profits by the selling and consumption of alcohol in it's structure. Now if it's a resturant that sells alcohol, you can still carry there. The only time you can open carry in Florida is if you are hunting, fishing, camping, place of work if allowed by employer, in your own home, or shooting at a shooting range or at a outdoor place that allows shooting like a state park or camp site.

I have open carry in Colorado. Cops there don't give a damn either. They've seen my toys and the only thing they have done is asked me how much it costs to build a AR-15 like mine.

NC has no state law against open carry. Other than in some of the larger cities, or any city that has a local law against it, local and fed government buildings, any priviate establishments that say no firearms, and on the Outerbanks, otherwise you can pretty much open carry wherever.

The CCW here is sort of a waste of money (and it is very expensive here) since open carry is allowed in so many places, especially if you live in a rural area.

Wow...... I am taken aback! But I see it doesn't worry you guys one bit, so it shouldn't bother me. I just have ample experience with people who have a temper. I just wouldn't like to see them armed, eventhough they haven't done anything irreparable yet....

Ted said:
Wow...... I am taken aback! But I see it doesn't worry you guys one bit, so it shouldn't bother me. I just have ample experience with people who have a temper. I just wouldn't like to see them armed, eventhough they haven't done anything irreparable yet....

Just because someone has a bad temper, doesn't mean they are capable of murder. I work with lots of guys with bad tempers, not once have any gone off and shot someone in the face just because they pissed him off.

Most shootings are not from legally owned weapons, nor are they by citizens with carry permits.

In the US our biggest problems concerning firearms are from those that do not own them legally, but it's not a hot issue on the election platform, so politicians don't bother much.

It isn't as if everyone is walking around with a firearm, I would venture to say that most people that have permits or are in open carry states don't necessarily keep their gun on their person. I keep mine in my vehicle most of the time.

I am not sure of the state laws in LA or CO, heck even the city laws. I have open carried a .44 mag revolver. Never had anyone say anything to me. Of course I used a little common sense in where I went with it. Usually it was on my way to or back from hunting trips. I stopped by the store I frequent, and one the state cops were there and asked to see it. I made it safe and handed it over. He examined it, said it was real nice and told me to make sure not to go to any bars, schools, banks, etc with it and gave it back over.

Hate bust anyones bubble but I'm more concerned with Current LEO's and honorably retired LEO's being able to carry nationwide as provided for under the LEO Safety Act. But seems alot of the liberal agencies and cities are balking at this....so I don't hold out much hope for the civvie side.

Back