Rifle vs. shot gun

joshwright2006

Which would be better for home protection, Rifle vs. Shot Gun?

I won't be using it for any other purpose besides protecting my family. I don't want anything to big or to heavy with a lot of kick back, Im pretty strong so i'm not worried about that but need it to where my wife could handle it to.

Which would be better for home protection, Rifle vs. Shot Gun?

I won't be using it for any other purpose besides protecting my family. I don't want anything to big or to heavy with a lot of kick back, Im pretty strong so i'm not worried about that but need it to where my wife could handle it to.

My suggestion would be this...
12G Valtro PM-5 Hunting Stock 14"
The PM5 Shotgun includes the following features:

• Choice of Pistol Grip or Standard Stocks
  • 14 inch barrel
  • Ultra Light Weight
  • Non-Glare matte Black Finish
  • Removable Prismatic Box Magazine Feed
  • Interchangeable Choke Tubes Optional
  • Folding Stock Optional
  • Simple reliable design with minimal moving parts
  • 3 inch chamber will fit 2 and 3/4 and 3 inch shells
  • Internally Chromed Barrels
  • The special alloy receiver's surface is resistant to atmospheric agents
  • Minimal Maintenance required due to simple design and rugged construction
  • Used by Law Enforcement and Military around the world
img

You can kiss goodbye to walls windows and most of your house fittings as well as the attacker but it is small in length and packs a punch and it looks neat.

However I think your best bet is as pointed out, move to a safer country.

Depends on the threat level, whether you're going to carry it around and whether you'll keep it under your pillow at night. ;)

It will for sure be a stay at home weapon, not looking to carry it around and the threat i can get more shells or bulletts lol. And as far as moving to another country, that is beyond outta of the question.

Remember a shotgun is only a short range weapon, forget the Hollywood crap where someone shot with a shotgun goes flying backwards, it don't happen! Number 7 shot is good enough to put someone down without doing too much damage to the house if you miss, and yes you can miss with a shotgun despite Hollywood's clap trap that you only have to point the gun in the general direction. 1 ounce solid slugs will give you fairly reasonable accuracy out to 100 yards if the intruder is a runner. Even if you miss you will be able to follow him by the smell, he will have probably crapped himself.

How about... you just buy a pistol. Small capacity - and I'm guessing you were in the Forces at some point and therefore probably did Basic Weapons Training, therefore, you should be able to put someone down with a pistol at close range.

But, as Highway Man said, why not stop being so afraid of your fellow man breaking into your home and stealing your crap...

Given that he is looking for a home defense weapon I think the shotgun is ideal, it is easy to use, doesn't require a whole lot of accuracy (ideal for untrained users), the short barrel is better for confined spaces use, and will do enough damage to deter most attackers.

Rifles are really only useful for ranged defense and I didn't get the impression he was going to use it to hold off the Indians circling the house.

Pistol is of course the other option but accuracy goes out the window in the hands of inexperienced users.

I already own a pistol actually. And trust me when I say Im not afraid of someone breaking in, but with me gone a lot work wise and other reasons, I want my wife to feel safe when she may be by herself ya know. so thats why I was asking.

lol you guys are crazy. but no my wife is not weapons trained. I took her to the fireing range once so she could practice shooting my 45 and she actually did pretty good. I think I may go with either a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge shot gun. what you think

The only advantage to a 20 gauge I can see would be lower recoil but the 12 gauge has a much wider variety of loads including reduced power rounds I would be inclined to go with the 12 gauge simply for its versatility.

Back