Rifle vs. shot gun

Has anyone mentioned the spray and pray guns, like Mac10 or Uzi.

As it spray and pray you don't hit the wife, kids, dog, neighbor, etc? Answer: no.

Not to mention they are illegal without a Class 3 Permit, which for most people is not worth the hassle.

just hearing the chunk - ka-chunk of a shotgun being jacked would be enough to get most home invaders to run........ if not a *blast* through the wall to where the perp is thought to be and then another chunk - ka-chunk.... it'd get my attention.
Pistols - I like the 9mm.... I can use *ball* and go plinking all day and at home a mag with HP's..... hell a .22 mag hits as hard as a .38 special - the gunfight is not going to happen from across the yard... as you all know it will be close. I don't believe in *blowing up* the person so folks who talk .44 mags and the .50's (these should be outlawed) is just BS in my opinion.
The weapons I had (I gave them all to my nephew) both had a purpose and a recreation element to them... meaning I could hunt or just go out to shoot without incurring to much cost for instance I had an M1 Carbine, (I called it my .30 cal twentytwo - it was a plinker to me)......... you do not plink with the large caliber weapons...... so they just sit there... my weapons did not just sit there, I liked to play with them. Won many beers doing so and had many hours of enjoyment doing so.

Last edited:
just hearing the chunk - ka-chunk of a shotgun being jacked would be enough to get most home invaders to run........ if not a *blast* through the wall to where the perp is thought to be and then another chunk - ka-chunk.... it'd get my attention.
Pistols - I like the 9mm.... I can use *ball* and go plinking all day and at home a mag with HP's..... hell a .22 mag hits as hard as a .38 special - the gunfight is not going to happen from across the yard... as you all know it will be close. I don't believe in *blowing up* the person so folks who talk .44 mags and the .50's (these should be outlawed) is just BS in my opinion.
An 1100 going into battery is a good deterent. I hope the "blowing holes through the wall" was on the same level as the hand grenade post, unless he's actively shooting at you. .22 mag hits are hard as a .38, you can't be serious. .44 Mags & .50 cal handguns are really for handgun hunting, why in the hell should they be banned? That's just nonsence.

An 1100 going into battery is a good deterent. I hope the "blowing holes through the wall" was on the same level as the hand grenade post, unless he's actively shooting at you. .22 mag hits are hard as a .38, you can't be serious. .44 Mags & .50 cal handguns are really for handgun hunting, why in the hell should they be banned? That's just nonsence.

if, by sound I KNEW the invader was just on the other side of the wall then yes, why not?

the .22 mag? {{ the .22 Magnum travels at 1900 fps and hits with 324 ft·lbf (439 J) of energy. By comparison, a 9mm hits with 326 ft·lbf (442 J). (Roughly the same amount of energy transfer) }} so, one could have it and in semi auto very concealable and an adequate self defense weapon or a backup.

the large cal hand guns... I would make allowances for the .44 if it were used for hunting.. I have seen short barrel .50's - bottom line is I do not like them for home defence... you might say "what is the difference, dead is dead" - guess it is the amount of mess I'd have to clean up and look at. Just me is all.

I sort of agree with him on the shotgun though the sound, look and report all have a deterrent element to them that I do not believe a small calibre pistol has.

I am not getting into blasting through walls or any other shotgun myths but I do believe the shotgun provides the best home defense option in under trained hands.

Here is a youtube story on the PM-5 as a home defense weapon:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT3ZFIHv0MI"]Valtro PM5 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I sort of agree with him on the shotgun though the sound, look and report all have a deterrent element to them that I do not believe a small calibre pistol has.

I am not getting into blasting through walls or any other shotgun myths but I do believe the shotgun provides the best home defense option in under trained hands.

I'm not talking about shooting through a wall when I am standing across the room.. but close. Plasterboard doesn't stop schit... I would *have* to know the bad guy was just on the other side - it would surly get his attention.... and plasterboard is cheap to fix. But more likely I would go into combat mode and engage an invader with my hand gun or my M1 Carbine... cranking the action on it is an eye opener also. :)

I'm not talking about shooting through a wall when I am standing across the room.. but close. Plasterboard doesn't stop schit... I would *have* to know the bad guy was just on the other side - it would surly get his attention.... and plasterboard is cheap to fix. But more likely I would go into combat mode and engage an invader with my hand gun or my M1 Carbine... cranking the action on it is an eye opener also. :)

Plasterboard may be cheap to fix, but are the kids, neighbour or other family member that may be in line with the final stopping point of that M1 round and I would argue that shooting through walls without positive ID of your target would at least in this country be considered reckless use of a firearm.

My belief is that in order to positively ID your target you need to actually see him and if you can see him then shooting through walls is an irrelevance.

the large cal hand guns... I would make allowances for the .44 if it were used for hunting.. I have seen short barrel .50's - bottom line is I do not like them for home defence... you might say "what is the difference, dead is dead" - guess it is the amount of mess I'd have to clean up and look at. Just me is all.
I rule out use of the .44 Mag, 455 Casull, ect becuase of recoil & controlability problems where more than one shot may be required. What reason someone owns one for is irrelavent, there's absolutly no grounds to ban them.
Notice the guys "ideal' home defence shotgun is banned as an evil gun by Fienstien. The pressing of the bolt release on an auto loading shotgun in the quiet of the night is also impressive.

I rule out use of the .44 Mag, 455 Casull, ect becuase of recoil & controlability problems where more than one shot may be required. What reason someone owns one for is irrelavent, there's absolutly no grounds to ban them.
Notice the guys "ideal' home defence shotgun is banned as an evil gun by Fienstien. The pressing of the bolt release on an auto loading shotgun in the quiet of the night is also impressive.
I liked the vid - would not own one because I am an old Model 12 type of guy.. Feinstein would ban a Remington Nylon-66 if she could........ most likely on her list as is the Ruger 10/22, she's a liberal - what else is to be said?

Back