Rice urges Europe to not help arm China

hope redleg allows this:

REMOVED

You guys think very static dont you?? please think progressive

we must understand history and prepare for the future, sure china made mistakes, but these mistakes were actually good, because we learn from mistakes and this will prevent us from a bad decision

mod edit: only english is allowed on the forum

I dont agree with arming China. The entire idea is kind of stupid anyways after Europe has seen how the USSR acted, and then China during the Korean War. Espically with the remote possibility of the US and western European powers taking long hard looks at N. Korea now because of it's nuke program, do we really want to risk arming people that have sided with the enemy before, espically right before we could start looking at them as a hostile military target?

I think China has stopped really acting Communist though, I see it as they are communist in name and a few areas (state run media, etc), but they act very capitalist and are more successful than traditional communist states. However, arming them is asking for trouble, espically when they are large, have a decent standing army and we have a regular fleet of vessels defending Tiawan that could make a good opening statement, not to mention bases and allies in Japan, S. Korea and Tiawan. Arming China could seriously destabilize the region espically if America and other militaries have to look at N. Korea as hostile soon.

As I posted months ago, things have been misunderstood about Europe's intentions.

The EU Customs will strictly monitor of what is sold to China.

Urbanboy said:
arming china??
as in europe arming china??

please, why would we want euro weapons??
If China does not want or need European weapons, what's the deal with all that Soviet/Russian equipment that China buys and uses to copy? China buys a LOT of Russian stuff. Sure, China is getting better and better at copying and even comes up with somewhat new or overlooked concepts every so often, but technologically they are not yet caught up. Europe is fully caught up. The Chinese government would love to buy, so why bother with the tired old rhetoric that "the world outsided of China has absolutely nothing worthwhile to offer it." The gigantic mass of outdated T-72's that China buys are decent tanks but they are certainly not a top of the line, first rate tank. (Russia sells China very few of their newer models.) The latest of the Leopard II, the Merkava, the LeClerc, the Challenger are all just as modern as the M1A2. In some ways some are superior to the M1A2. In othe ways, some are inferior to the M1A2. All of them are better than reworked T-72's though.

in consideration with weapons, russia is different than china

in a way, its mutual relationship, their sales give them money, and we gaing technology and weapons

the reasons we like russian weapons is because they are innovative and like someone said in this forum, its reliable and doesnt cost as much

plus, we got used to the russian sytem

Urbanboy said:
in consideration with weapons, russia is different than china

in a way, its mutual relationship, their sales give them money, and we gaing technology and weapons

the reasons we like russian weapons is because they are innovative and like someone said in this forum, its reliable and doesnt cost as much

plus, we got used to the russian sytem
That is understandable. Still, China stands in a position become familiar with the equipment from the other side as well. Not such a bad thing, I'd say. Also, Europe wouldn't mind seeing if they can offer something competative I'm sure.

the_13th_redneck said:
"We don't need Euro weapons" is an arrogant statement for people still relying heavily on Russian weaponary.

Absolutely not. China have already hired foriegners from various countries to assist in the development of their own weapon projects. It is known that Israel have exported weapons to China as well.

lol redneck 13 you should know something about russian weapons

russian weapons are pretty cool, out of th eordinary like the su-27 they can be beautiful and poweful as well, but most of the time they are emphasized on relibility and capabilities, it doesnt matter how good it looks

russian weapons designer are top of the line man, remember america's weapons capability cant always win when there is some ivan trying to find a way to counter that weapon

on the whole id rather have a russian tank than american tank,. why??/ because it is more reliable, has more fuel efficiency, better cross country capabilities and most of all, powerful

in modern battlefield, those who think in strategy only cannot win, those thinking in high tech cannot win, but those who think both wins, yet those who emphasize only in one part of high tech cannot win, and those who empahsize on varities in high tech definetly wins along with strategy

I know quite a bit about the newer Russian weapons. I also know that in the past, Soviet weapons have been overrated except for the most basic stuff like the AK rifle series, have been rather crap.
The SU-27 isn't bad. Just a shame it can't carry enough of anything. Plus forget the cobra. It's an utterly useless manouver.
Yes I know the Chinese can import help to develop its own stuff. But it's a heck of a lot easier and cost effective to just BUY the Euro weapons.

Lets not forget that the substantial majority of Russia's population is in Europe. The bulk of Russia's manufacturing sites are found within Europe as well. China is buying European military equipment already by buying Russian.

most basic stuff like the AK rifle series, have been rather crap.

if i have to choose between ak and m-16 in any environment, id chose ak, it is not crap, it is rather ugly looking and made of wood, but it is a dam fine piece of weaponery

Yes I know the Chinese can import help to develop its own stuff. But it's a heck of a lot easier and cost effective to just BUY the Euro weapons.

it is a disgrace to buy euro weapons, for it means we have degraded our national capabilities, one of the superpowers of teh world ought to produce its own eapons, however buying russian weapons are only used for its technology and used as a friendship tool

That is the ultimate goal of ANY nation: To be able to produce for itself top of the line military hardware. China is closer on that than on the rest of technological advancement and they will continue to catch up across the board. They have never been as focussed on catching up as they are within the recent past.

the_13th_redneck said:
I know quite a bit about the newer Russian weapons. I also know that in the past, Soviet weapons have been overrated except for the most basic stuff like the AK rifle series, have been rather crap.
The SU-27 isn't bad. Just a shame it can't carry enough of anything. Plus forget the cobra. It's an utterly useless manouver.

You ignored logistics. You ignored maintenance. To buy Euro weapons primarily is to buy without garautee or replacement parts. This is not a simple consumer theory. The very reason why several nations License products is because they are cheaper to produce and easier to replace.

The reason why China is spending a lot of their budget line on R & D is based on Nationalism and technological development, regardless Military or civilian. Japan during the Meiji Era too have aimed to achieve these goals and currently proven themselves very successful of becoming one of the world's leading technology centers.

exactly, besides, buying euro weapons means having to buy spare parts, ammo, munitions from euro too, which is tooc ostly and in case of war the euro council could prevent exportation of those needed supply

Back