Rice urges Europe to not help arm China - Page 10

--
Boots

April 5th, 2005  
A Can of Man

I know quite a bit about the newer Russian weapons. I also know that in the past, Soviet weapons have been overrated except for the most basic stuff like the AK rifle series, have been rather crap.
The SU-27 isn't bad. Just a shame it can't carry enough of anything. Plus forget the cobra. It's an utterly useless manouver.
Yes I know the Chinese can import help to develop its own stuff. But it's a heck of a lot easier and cost effective to just BUY the Euro weapons.
April 5th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Lets not forget that the substantial majority of Russia's population is in Europe. The bulk of Russia's manufacturing sites are found within Europe as well. China is buying European military equipment already by buying Russian.
April 6th, 2005  
MadeInChina

Quote:
most basic stuff like the AK rifle series, have been rather crap.
if i have to choose between ak and m-16 in any environment, id chose ak, it is not crap, it is rather ugly looking and made of wood, but it is a dam fine piece of weaponery

Quote:
Yes I know the Chinese can import help to develop its own stuff. But it's a heck of a lot easier and cost effective to just BUY the Euro weapons.
it is a disgrace to buy euro weapons, for it means we have degraded our national capabilities, one of the superpowers of teh world ought to produce its own eapons, however buying russian weapons are only used for its technology and used as a friendship tool
--
Boots
April 6th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

That is the ultimate goal of ANY nation: To be able to produce for itself top of the line military hardware. China is closer on that than on the rest of technological advancement and they will continue to catch up across the board. They have never been as focussed on catching up as they are within the recent past.
April 6th, 2005  
CABAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I know quite a bit about the newer Russian weapons. I also know that in the past, Soviet weapons have been overrated except for the most basic stuff like the AK rifle series, have been rather crap.
The SU-27 isn't bad. Just a shame it can't carry enough of anything. Plus forget the cobra. It's an utterly useless manouver.
You ignored logistics. You ignored maintenance. To buy Euro weapons primarily is to buy without garautee or replacement parts. This is not a simple consumer theory. The very reason why several nations License products is because they are cheaper to produce and easier to replace.

The reason why China is spending a lot of their budget line on R & D is based on Nationalism and technological development, regardless Military or civilian. Japan during the Meiji Era too have aimed to achieve these goals and currently proven themselves very successful of becoming one of the world's leading technology centers.
April 6th, 2005  
MadeInChina

exactly, besides, buying euro weapons means having to buy spare parts, ammo, munitions from euro too, which is tooc ostly and in case of war the euro council could prevent exportation of those needed supply