Rice set to retire a 49er, with a fan fete to follow

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/football/nfl/san_francisco_49ers/15317130.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

By Dennis Georgatos
Mercury News
Jerry Rice is rejoining the 49ers for eternity and a day.
Rice, the NFL's all-time leading receiver, will return to the team's facility Thursday to sign a one-day contract so he can retire as a 49er, the team announced. The formal retirement ceremony won't take place until halftime of the Nov. 19 game against Seattle at Monster Park.
``I'm excited to return to San Francisco to retire as a 49er,'' said Rice, a part of three of the organization's five Super Bowl-winning teams. ``This was my home for many years and this is where so many memories were made. I thank the entire 49ers organization for the opportunity to stand on the field and say goodbye.''
Rice played 20 years in the NFL, the first 16 with the 49ers. He finished his career with the Raiders and Seattle. (He spent time in Denver's training camp a year ago before deciding to hang it up.)
``While Jerry is going to sign his contract on Aug. 24 to retire as a 49er, it really will not be official until he celebrates in front of the fans on Nov. 19,'' team owner John York said.
Rice went to the Pro Bowl 13 times and holds most of the NFL's significant receiving records, including yards (22,895), catches (1,549), consecutive games with at least one reception (274), touchdown catches (197) and total touchdowns (208).

Back