Revolvers.

SHERMAN

They are not really military hardware, but oh well...I was wondering, what are some of the top ones out there, and how are the prices compared with Pistols.

Top Brands
Colt
Smith and Wesson
Taurus
Ruger

Colt is pretty expensive a revolver going for about what you'd pay for a top auto loader.

Smith and Wesson while not cheap new are well made and durable.

Taurus Made in Brazil many models are made under S&W LICENSE They also make a Berretta 92/96 clone. Economical and good quality.

Ruger Extremely durable and ecomical but rather heavy in the service weapon styles.

Ah, the venerable wheel gun is a real joy to work with. They are usually more powerful and accurate than auto-loading pistols. Personally I prefer Smith & Wesson and Colt over the rest because they are the smoothest out of the box revolvers you can get your hands on. The only thing Ruger has going for it is its toughness because it is a ***** to slick up. I can smooth an S&W or Colt trigger just by clipping a little spring and working the action with some JB compound. You don’t even have to mess with the angle.

Want to see just how fast a properly slicked up S&W can be fired? How many people have seen Jerry Miculek? (right click, save as)

03USMC said:
Taurus Made in Brazil many models are made under S&W LICENSE They also make a Berretta 92/96 clone. Economical and good quality.

I've heard from several gun "experts" that Taurus' clone is actually better than the original Beretta..!?
Haven't fired one of them yet, only "played" a bit with one in Lebanon, and it seemed like a real good weapon.

And I agree about Colt being on that list.
I've tried the Colt Anaconda and Colt Python, and I really liked both a lot.. :)

The Colt Python has a twist suited for light bullets and the S&W 686 is suited for heavy grain bullets. Both are extremely good quality.

I want the Ruger 357 mag. revolver with the 5 shot capacity because it has a slimmer profile.

My main carry weapon is a .40 loaded with alternating hydrashocks and glaser safety slugs.

The glaser rounds are 115 grain, 1550 ft. per sec. and have 615 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle, which happens to be more than almost any commercial 357 round on the common market.

But I had a Colt 357 before, and would like to reacquire that caliber, but next time with the Ruger.

M. D. Vaden
http://www.mdvaden.com

SHERMAN said:
They are not really military hardware, but oh well...I was wondering, what are some of the top ones out there, and how are the prices compared with Pistols.

Pardon Me!

There were three manufacture who provided revolvers for the Military, Colt, Ruger and S&W. Who were they issued to? Mostly pilots, CID, MPI, MPs and other Investigating units.

SFC

up until the late 80s, the Air Force issued S&W model 15 combat masterpiece (.38spl).

for a short time they issued what was essentially the S&W model 12 (airweight K-frame .38spl) to aircrew calling it the M56.

the Colt New Service and the S&W N-frame Hand Ejector (i think thats the right model) was issued at the end of WWI in .45acp to supplement the 1911 that was in short supply. they were also reissued in WWII.

the S&W model 10 (actually called the Military and Police before numbers were assigned) was issued to Navy pilots.

so i would say that Revolvers ARE military sidearms...

anyway on topic i like Colt and S&W. i carried a Colt King Cobra (.357mag) for 2yrs as a patrolman in a little Oklahoma town in the early 90s.

david

SHERMAN said:

We maybe not today, but they were used as military units even in ww2

Back