Revolver Buyer's guide.

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
Hello Milforum,

This is a short question regarding my planned purchase of my first Revolver. In a few months time upon reaching 21 years of age I plan to legally apply for the necessary legal license to purchase a handgun.

The only reason I post these questions is because I plan to purchase my first Revolver but want to make sure I take into consideration important aspects to make sure I make the right choice.

The type of Revolver I am looking for is a reproduction S&W No. 3 with a preferably a 6.5 inch barrel. (period weapons can get very pricey since they can be consider collector's items.)

Now although I have experience handling various semi automatic platforms this will be my first Revolver.

So below are a set of things I am looking for advice on from people who either have experience or own or collect Revolvers, you do not have to provide a answer to all of them, however any information is nice.

• Things I am looking at,
    Materials, is it better to purchase with period construction materials or modern? ( there are fewer and fewer gunsmiths in American who forge weapons like these using 19th construction techniques and methods and generally hike up price per unit.)

Top breaks, any tips and safety measures to take into account with top break revolvers?

Ammunition, would it be more economical to get one with built out of modern materials and use modern ammunition or 19th grade "Cowboy" loads?

Balance and shooting form, since this is my first revolver I intend to take a firearms safety course to learn proper and safe handling skills , especially for a weapon type I am not used to handling, however any solid safety notes you may have from experience with revolvers would be appreciated.

Once again I would like to extend thanks for any input from those with said experience.

Thanks again,

Yo,

When you find the “wheel gun” you want to buy post here again and people will tell you whether or not it is any good and what you should pay for it.

When you find the “wheel gun” you want to buy post here again and people will tell you whether or not it is any good and what you should pay for it.

Once I narrow down a brand name and get the specs on it I will do that.

Thanks again.

S&W made #3s a few years ago because of Cowboy Action Shooting demand. If you can find one of those you have one made well, of modern materials. Thinking there are some Italian made replicas also. Might try looking @ something like SASS associated sites for availability of them. Been a while since I payed attention to them, the originals were in 44 American, 44 Russian & 45 Schofield. Think all 3 might be in production for SASS competition, but the 44 Russian would probably be best choice of the 3, unless they're available in 45 Colt or 44 Sp. Have you tried Googling it?

Last edited:
Back