Reusing poison gases

ONERING

Hey has the the U.S. army ever consider of using poison gases to gas out guerillas in wars. Because as I see it, it would be effective. All you have to do is evacuate the troops and gas that place to hell and there goes your problems.

that would be use of WMD though wouldn't it.

i don't think the world would stand by and let that happen, hell i don't think even the most rapidly patriotic american would like to see gas used

I can't see the US deploying WMDs in a Guerillia setting. Especially considering that Guerilla's operate among populace.

And gas has a nasty habit of coming back on you should the wind change even if we were of a mind to use it.

What about using small amounts just to cover a small area, not enough for the wind to spread it all over the place.

Not gonna happen. Gas can only be used by Presidential authority and even then only when it's been used on us by another nation first. Terrorists are not a nation and they do not stand and fight like a regular military. Thus the term "terrorist". So even if they used gas, toxins (i.e. anthrax, etc.) we won't.

Maybe not poison gases but hallucinating gases that cause people to see things and maybe make them go crazy.

if you use tear gas at an outdoors area, enemy troops can easily get out of the gas clouds because tear gas is mostly just effective indoors. Tear gas wouldn't be as concentrated to stop a force.

You have to be careful using any gas and take into consideration the threat of side effects. For example, the Moscow theater gasing. Many hostages lost their lives not from the terrorists but from the anesthesia gas used. Even tear gas can kill under the right conditions. And since you would be dispersing the gas into a civilian population it wouldn't be practical.

Samurai_Zero said:
if you use tear gas at an outdoors area, enemy troops can easily get out of the gas clouds because tear gas is mostly just effective indoors. Tear gas wouldn't be as concentrated to stop a force.

With CS or CN gas it's all about deployment and concentration. It can be quite effective outdoors if the deployment is done correctly.

Look, now we're going into pointless hypotheticalls of "well, what if we could make them halucinate" and such.

The bottom line is that the U.S. doesn't use gas and it would be more effective to just B-52 carpet bomb an area than to gas it anyway.

03USMC said:
Samurai_Zero said:

With CS or CN gas it's all about deployment and concentration. It can be quite effective outdoors if the deployment is done correctly.

From what I remember about the "gas chamber" in basic, tear gas was pretty easy to recover from once the drill sergeant let you out. That's why it is used for crowd control, but the CS stuck to our bodies. Any sweaty place on the body was where it stuck, underarms, crotch, throat, eyes, neck..you get the picture. They would throw a CS cannister between our lines on each side of a road we were on and everyone would forget about fighting.

Gas chamber at Basic. :lol:

Remember somebody telling you "rub your eyes they'll feel better"? :cry:

Thankfully I had been informed the real story and knew better. ;)

Some of the guys got sick and you would slip in it if you didn't exit slow. They had all of us, about 20 at a time, around the walls and dropped a capsule in a sterno can. Our masks worked great but when the Drill Sgt. stood in front of you, you pulled the mask off and looked him in the eyes while reciting your name, rank, and s/n. If you messed up, you went around and got in line again.

I just faced the breeze and let my eyes wash it out. I knew better than to touch my face because I had seen the guys before me come out and figured out the score by the time I had to go in. The NCO outside was screaming at the ones rolling on the ground and rubbing their eyes so we knew what we were supposed to do.

When they had us go back through a second time, they told us the cannister held chlorine gas :) , I think that was to make you check and clear your mask.

Name, rank, and s/n?

They took it easy on you. We had to state all the General Orders. If you messed up like you, back in you went. Lotta guys got plenty dosed that day.

Lets get back to the topic please. Carpet bombs are not always effective. Remeber Operation: Rolling Thunder in Vietnam?

Back