Reusing poison gases

--

March 21st, 2005  
ONERING

Topic: Reusing poison gases

Hey has the the U.S. army ever consider of using poison gases to gas out guerillas in wars. Because as I see it, it would be effective. All you have to do is evacuate the troops and gas that place to hell and there goes your problems.
March 21st, 2005  
chewie_nz

that would be use of WMD though wouldn't it.

i don't think the world would stand by and let that happen, hell i don't think even the most rapidly patriotic american would like to see gas used
March 21st, 2005  
03USMC

I can't see the US deploying WMDs in a Guerillia setting. Especially considering that Guerilla's operate among populace.
--
March 21st, 2005  
Charge 7

And gas has a nasty habit of coming back on you should the wind change even if we were of a mind to use it.
March 21st, 2005  
ONERING

What about using small amounts just to cover a small area, not enough for the wind to spread it all over the place.
March 21st, 2005  
Charge 7

Not gonna happen. Gas can only be used by Presidential authority and even then only when it's been used on us by another nation first. Terrorists are not a nation and they do not stand and fight like a regular military. Thus the term "terrorist". So even if they used gas, toxins (i.e. anthrax, etc.) we won't.
March 21st, 2005  
ONERING

Maybe not poison gases but hallucinating gases that cause people to see things and maybe make them go crazy.
March 22nd, 2005  
Charge 7

Why mess with that when tear gas is lawful and quite effective?
March 22nd, 2005  
ONERING

if you use tear gas at an outdoors area, enemy troops can easily get out of the gas clouds because tear gas is mostly just effective indoors. Tear gas wouldn't be as concentrated to stop a force.
March 22nd, 2005  
Knightraptor

You have to be careful using any gas and take into consideration the threat of side effects. For example, the Moscow theater gasing. Many hostages lost their lives not from the terrorists but from the anesthesia gas used. Even tear gas can kill under the right conditions. And since you would be dispersing the gas into a civilian population it wouldn't be practical.