Return of the Soviet Union?

Yep. Basically a Spy vs Spy scenario. I think all of us are describing a Cold War scenario. Ironically our enemies (potential enemies anyway) are using oil to fund their campaign against us, oil that we are buying. I just wonder what it will take to cut our enemy off from the source of these funds and go and get some damn alternative fuels??
I swear... the Devil has already come and he's got a EXXON MOBIL sticker on his forehead.

What of the ISAF adventure series?

ISAF, KFOR,SFOR.
All started as UN missions and was then handed over to NATO.

The only thing that changed in Kosovo where the color beret used and the cut down in OP,s.

//KJ.

Why, how does that benefit the Russian Federation if they are not going to have a need for the slight preoccupation of the U.S. military. Unless they are going to launch a large scale military operation then having that done will basically do nothing but spend U.S. tax dollars. And, unless Russia is going to use that as a springboard to being economically Superior (though slight) , then, what purpose would that serve?

By the way, the KGB was disbanded with the Soviet Union wasn't it?

Why, how does that benefit the Russian Federation if they are not going to have a need for the slight preoccupation of the U.S. military. Unless they are going to launch a large scale military operation then having that done will basically do nothing but spend U.S. tax dollars. And, unless Russia is going to use that as a springboard to being economically Superior (though slight) , then, what purpose would that serve?

By the way, the KGB was disbanded with the Soviet Union wasn't it?

KGB turned into FSB..

The Russians wouldn´t want to get the US to commit if they started trouble somewhere in the world.
How do you accomplish that?
By convincing the US that the conflict is on a very small scale and that the cost/gain ratio is heavily against them.

Reread all my posts back to back as I have done with yours.
Then post clear questions, when addressing me please indicate so in your post.
This is a very easy precaution against misunderstandings.

//KJ.

Sukio, big countries that fall have a habit of not wanting to stay down.
You think the Chinese are a rising power? They're a power coming back. The Russians are the same too. The desire to be a world super power is there.

Sukio, big countries that fall have a habit of not wanting to stay down.
You think the Chinese are a rising power? They're a power coming back. The Russians are the same too. The desire to be a world super power is there.
Not all big powers rise up again. Great Britain is a good example. Although a wealthy, technologically advanced state with one of the most powerful economies in the world, Britain will probably never rise to the heights of the British Empire again. Thus, there is no guarantee that Russia could rise again to former heights even if they made it their primary goal. The problem I have with the Russians now is that their economy and infrastructure still does not nearly match their immense natural resources, although they are definitely exploiting their mineral wealth far more than they used to. This has been their bugbear since the Industrial Revolution kicked off. However, it is this natural wealth that is keeping them in the game, so to speak.

The Russians definitely want to sit at the big table; I guess it can be argued that they already do having joined the G8. However, the reason behind the expansionist policies of the Soviet Union no longer exist, that is, to export Communism to all of Europe. I think what the Russians are after is just to project influence over what they term is their sphere of influence. A good example is to ensure that the Ukraine is kept well aligned with Russia and not with the West. As for trying to expand into Western Europe or the like forget it.

The bottom line is that the reasons why the Cold War remained 'cold' still remain. Whatever happens in the next few years will amount to sabre rattling and no more. Terrorism is still the greatest threat for the foreseeable future and this potentially affects Russia just as much as the US or any other Western nation. Any future regional or pan-regional conflict will be over economics or religion or both, rather than ideology. If you still think both Gulf Wars were fought just to liberate a small, autocratic regime or to topple a rogue Dictator then think again.

Not all big powers rise up again. Great Britain is a good example.
But they all try.
Here's the list:
China
Japan
Russia

Great Britain no longer has the means to be a world super power. It doesn't have the great naval empire that brought home cheap raw materials from abroad at robbery prices. The three other countries however, have the means and they are pursuing it with vigor. The prestige and wounded pride of a glorious past are central themes to their bid to return to super power status.

Don't forget... India ;)

Russia still has two things driving her regardless of the political flavour in chrage.

1) A warm water port
2) Borders free of a real or perceived threat

As long as these two items are not secured she will not sit pretty and be content.

:bang: Are done killing this dead tango yet? :bang:

Yes, I agree, I can't keep putting in my input. The strange thing is, I think a thread that already convers this topic, was formed in the years before I arrived here. And, I think this thread is now going on to the , age old statement "what about such and such country." NK, China, The Japanese with their powerful Navy, Iran, and basically whoever else Bush called, A "Axis of Evil" one of the most immature statements I believe the man has ever made.

I'm out.

I like the term "Axis of Evil."
Funny thing about Sukio is that he's actually supplying evidence against his case.

Yes, I agree, I can't keep putting in my input. The strange thing is, I think a thread that already convers this topic, was formed in the years before I arrived here. And, I think this thread is now going on to the , age old statement "what about such and such country." NK, China, The Japanese with their powerful Navy, Iran, and basically whoever else Bush called, A "Axis of Evil" one of the most immature statements I believe the man has ever made.

I'm out.

Rant time.

My young friend, you may or may not disagree with the President of the United States, I do not care. But please, please for the sake of maintaining respectability in this forum, do not ever call him "immature". He is more than 4 times your age, has actually completed high school and college, during which he attended both Yale and Harvard at which he recieved a Masters in business. He has served in our Armed Forces, got involved in politics and has served more than 13 years in executive offices, got married and is raising two daughters. By the way, I think I forgot the part about being elected to the highest office in the world, twice.

End Rant.

As far as I am concerned, there should be no need for any more posts in this thread. Ever.

Rant time.

My young friend, you may or may not disagree with the President of the United States, I do not care. But please, please for the sake of maintaining respectability in this forum, do not ever call him "immature". He is more than 4 times your age, has actually completed high school and college, during which he attended both Yale and Harvard at which he received a Masters in business. He has served in our Armed Forces, got involved in politics and has served more than 13 years in executive offices, got married and is raising two daughters. By the way, I think I forgot the part about being elected to the highest office in the world, twice.

End Rant.

As far as I am concerned, there should be no need for any more posts in this thread. Ever.

I can't believe that I just said that. I feel stupid, any one who reads this, you have my gratitude if you look down upon me. I kinda feel ashamed.....

I don't think all of Mr. Bush's actions are immature. It's just look at what happened when he did call them "evil" Think of what the Iranian leaders thought, and the Insurgent warlords thought. The quote, "you are either with us, or with the terrorists" , was eaten up by extremists, and rouge factions.

I think that If I hated the U.S. ( as immature as I and stupidly put I just placed myself, but God no I do not hate my nation) then having their leader put something so blunt out like that, would give me a new slogan to preach out to the masses. He, and followers of such and such group, the Great Satan just called US , evil, I say lets go get him!

I am truly sorry , and have broken rules hear, but I never mean to say that in general, one of the most powerful, and tested men on the planet right now, was immature, in fact I just made a FINE display of that. But, that the statement he made that day, on that particular speech, it just is fuel to some radicals fire. Think about it if you were a western hater, and heard that, from you enemy, would that get you all worked up? And ready to die for your cause, whatever that may be?

Aside from that, about my last post, I honestly think I am on the road to shame on this here....

Last edited:
I was sarcastic? I really guess there is no rest for self inflicted humilation...

As to the topic, I really don't what to think, if Russia is restored to some what of a world power, then, then?.....

Oh you weren't being sarcastic? I'm sorry then.
You know how some people here are.
I don't feel very good about that speech either but staying on topic, Russia is not America's friend rather, its adversary.
Which way Europe will side with is also going to be interesting but believe me, there are a lot of attitudes here in Europe which see Russia as some kind of kind and gentle giant. Not pretty.

As to the topic, I really don't what to think, if Russia is restored to some what of a world power, then, then?.....

the_13th_redneck said:
I don't feel very good about that speech either but staying on topic, Russia is not America's friend rather, its adversary.
Which way Europe will side with is also going to be interesting but believe me, there are a lot of attitudes here in Europe which see Russia as some kind of kind and gentle giant. Not pretty.

:bang: NO!! This topic is dead!! :bang: (Haha)

Sign these cards... :read:

Sukio: Mistake made, mistake recognized, mistake fixed. Green lights here, you are GO GO GO.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Most people I know aren't man enough to admit they were wrong about something (no matter how trivial).
Spartacus, I DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT THIS TOPIC IS DEAD!!!!
haha just kidding.
But yeah I don't think there's much debate in this... a strong and arrogant Russia is bad for the USA.

Back