Retirement...

JulesLee

Is it true that millitary servicemen that served over 20 years gets 50% of what they made? or am I wrong..
please post some info here about retirements.. XD

Retirement has changed

Those who were in the service prior to the "thirty and out" policy change, receive 50% of base pay for 20yrs or more. Each year after 20 adds an additional 2.5% of base pay. At thirty years or more of service you would receive 75% of your base pay minus taxes, etc.

As far as the 'new' "thirty and out" retirement, I believe the retirement pay is 50% of the base pay. Anyone who came into the service after the "thirty and out" policy change fall under the new policy. If I'm wrong, I'm quite sure that some of our other veterens out there can post the correct facts and figures.

Last edited:
so currently theres the 30 years and out policy? or im kinda confused lol.

http://www.airforce.com/careers/paychart/index.php

so a retired colonel that served 26 years would get 5,574.08.. (65%)
not bad lol good enough to feed family after 26+ years heh

so if I join now, I would fall under the 30 N Out policy.. correct?

dam that sux.. 30 years and out.. =/ Id like to do 35+ years lol seems fun
i want to reach brig general or higher before I get out though..

Last edited:
I don't know about the other services, but I literally just came into the US Public Health Service in October, and I'm still covered under the 20/50% policy. The "30 and out" for us means that we can serve a max of 30 years and then we're mandatorally retired. (Waivers are granted for flag officers.)

Also, the retirement percentages are based off your base salary only. It does NOT include your food allowance nor any housing allowances. So net in your paycheck, it's considerably lower than the 50% they say it is.

Example: as an O-3 (zero to 2 years of service), I'm currently grossing $3,124.50 per month in base pay, plus $185 in food allowance (non-taxed) and $1,600 in housing allowance (for the DC area, non-taxed). If I were eligible to retire now at 50%, I only get $3,124.50/2, or $1,562.25 per month. The food and housing allowances aren't factored in.

Chief Bones said:
Those who were in the service prior to the "thirty and out" policy change, receive 50% of base pay for 20yrs or more. Each year after 20 adds an additional 2.5% of base pay. At thirty years or more of service you would receive 75% of your base pay minus taxes, etc.

As far as the 'new' "thirty and out" retirement, I believe the retirement pay is 50% of the base pay. Anyone who came into the service after the "thirty and out" policy change fall under the new policy. If I'm wrong, I'm quite sure that some of our other veterens out there can post the correct facts and figures.
Hey chief what pay grades do you get in the navy?

What the :cen: is an O-1E,O-2E,O-3E?
But I do know what an O-1,O-2,O-3 it's just the E at the end of it that lost me.

Navy Boy said:
What the :cen: is an O-1E,O-2E,O-3E?
But I do know what an O-1,O-2,O-3 it's just the E at the end of it that lost me.

Ah. O-1E is what you get if you get your commission after having served at least four years and one day as an enlisted person. You get that credit up through O-3E, then at O-4 you're on the same page as all the other O-4's.

Looks like you didn't read the footnotes. ;)

Last edited:
So if I go for 4 or 5 years in NROTC and then join the navy I would then be an O-1 not an O-1E right?:???:

Navy Boy said:
So if I go for 4 or 5 years in NROTC and then join the navy I would then be an O-1 not an O-1E right?:???:
Correct. Navy ROTC Midshipmen (and Naval Academy midshipmen, for that matter) are not enlisted sailors. ALTHOUGH, Naval Academy grads would qualify for O-1 over two years (and then over four years when they reach their anniversary date of entering the Academy) upon their commissioning. NROTC grads start at O-1 zero to two years.

As for the thirty and out thing first mentioned. My dad just retired a year and a half a go and he still gets 50% of his base pay. I have also heard that if you are in for 30 years you get 75% base pay.

Well I never learned that in my njrotc class so I didn't know it and if I looked it on google who knows what would happen because it give me a bunch of links to other sites that are useless.

Start here for the Navy: http://www.navy.com/careers/officerplanner/ -- the other services should also have a recruiting website that can similarly guide you through the process.

OCS is not the only way to get into the Navy (or the other services). If you're a professional (doctor, lawyer, etc.) you could get a direct commission into the military. If you're still in high school, you can go to civilian college on an ROTC scholarship, or apply to one of the service academies.

Last edited:
Back