The results of the air attacks on the Ruhr

It's the 70th anniversary of the Dambusters raid today. Was it's effect overestimated or underestimated? Could more have been made of it. Documentary on UK TV tonight

The Dambusters raid was an amazing display of airmanship and outright courage, sadly the losses were alarmingly high, no squadron could take such loses for very long.

The damage was significant, the raid in my opinion did more damage to property and the German war machine then a conventional night raid by a single squadron. Most importantly the raid raised British morale knowing that "We are hitting back."

Bomber Command never got the recognition it so rightly deserved.

As Monty stated, WW2 vets are dying off, soon there won't be any left to tell of their experiences first hand. My Uncle Roy was a Dunkirk survivor who died a few years ago, my Uncle Charlie a North Africa vet of the 8th Army LRDG, El Alamein and Italy also died a few years ago, my Dad last year, their stories and memories gone forever.

Last edited:
According to the documentary labour was diverted from the Atlantic wall to repair the dams, so it may have even made D-day easier.

I didn't realise the bombs were dropped unspun directly on the Sorpe with the bombers flying parallel to the dam wall.

Last edited:
Many have stated that the Dams raid was merely a "Morale Booster" nothing more. As I stated in a previous post, more damage was done by 617 Squadron on the Dams Raid then any other conventional raid by a single Squadron.. Because of the Dams raid, air defence was removed from other target area's to the dams.

617 Squadron have a lot to be proud of.

Back