Restrepo

brinktk

If any of you have the chance to watch the National Geographic documentary "Restrepo" do it. I watched it tonight and it was very powerful and very....I don't know....I just found myself saying "I feel you guys...I really do"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuL-A1dImzs"]YouTube - Restrepo - Download the FULL Movie[/ame]

Looks interesting. And I keep forgetting how long Americans go out on duty for. I believe it's something like 1 to 2 years without break? I find that a complete shock and realise how lucky we are in the British Army to have a 6 month service time. Of course a 'holidays' are alot shorter but the mental and physical strain must be immense for American troops.

Still, I think might download the movie. Though I didn't totally like the advert for I felt it was a bit too much of an American blockbuster movie hype and sort of ruined the 'atmosphere' of the advert. but hey, I'm British. I moan and complain about everything!

Anyways. Great post. Loved it.

The actual documentary doesn't have that feel to it. All the commentary is from the soldiers, not from the journalists. It's very raw and very real.

What's amazing to me is that the reporters stayed with the soldiers for all 15 months of their deloyment. That says a lot in my book.

Standard deployments these days are 12 months long. For a while though, they were going from 15 to 18 months. Believe it or not, before the war on terror started the usual deployment time was 6 months...oh how things have changed!

In a way I think it's better with the longer deployments. Heck, 6 months into a deployment you're just getting settled in and really becoming familiar with the area you're working in.

Last edited:
LANDIGAL

If you want some more good information on the area read a book that should be published soon called "Landigal" by James F. Christ.
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/landigal/13653591

A good friend of mine was there right before the reporters showed up and he had some interesting things to say about the people and the area. I would recommend this book if you want some more information about soldiers that rotated throught the "Valley of Death"

I will definitely check out the book, thanks for the tip off. Might be a good thing to brush up on considering the optempo.

Back