Respect for an old Marine

implicature

The family of a retired Marine Sergeant Major, with 42 years in the Corps, reluctantly decided that at age 92, he needed more care than they could provide.

The only decent place close to their home was a nursing home for retired soldiers. They approached the facility and were told that, while Army vets got first choice, they would take vets of the other services if there happened to be an opening; which, by good fortune, there was.

A week after placing the retired Marine there, his sons came to visit. "How do you like it here, Pop?" they asked.

"It's wonderful," said the old Jarhead. "Great chow, lots to do, and they treat everyone with great respect."

"How so, Pop?"

"Well, take Harry, across the hall. 88, hasn't worn the uniform in 30 years, but they still call him 'General.' And then George, down the hall. Used to lead the Army band. Hasn't conducted a note in 40 years, but they still call him 'Maestro!'"

"That's fine for the soldiers, Pop, but how do they treat you?"

"Me? They treat me with even more respect. I'm 92, haven't had s-ex in 10 years, and they still call me 'That F-----g Marine!'"

Back