Reserve and Guard being deployed in the best manner?

Are the Reserves and Guard being used correctly?

• No way their mission is at home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe they have both home and away missions

• I Don't Know, it's too confusing

• Yes, that's their mission

• Total voters

DTop

Do you think the U.S. is using its Reserve and National Guard troops in the best possible way? I have heard opinions stating that they should be used more to fill the slots vacated by active duty troops (Germany, Korea, etc.) or stay at home for border duty, natural disasters, etc? So what do you think?

IMO. They are being deployed within their mission statements. Everyone seems to forget that the NG can and has in the past been federalized. WWI, WWII, Korea.

They recieve the same training. And are expected to realize that they maybe doing things other than Fourth of July Parades and Diaster relief.

It says "US Army" and "US Air Force" on the uniform not "National Guard" or "Reserve". The same for the Marine and Navy reservists. They meet the same requirements as the regulars, pass the same tests, and are obligated to the same missions. All are told that when they join up. Nobody should be questioning that at all. As 03USMC pointed out they have been Federalized many times in the past. The Guard and Reserve constitute 3/4 of this nation's combat force. That is a resource that cannot be thought of as having any other prime mission than the nation's defense wherever that may take them.

It should be noted, however, that National Guard resources are being missed by various states in regard to disaster relief and the like. This speaks more that other agencies should be picking up the slack though than that the Guard should be only focused on that mission.

I would tend to agree with the both of you. I don't think the point was to complain about being sent to Iraq more than it was a recognition of missing the resource back home. Considering the bad run of weather in FL, and in CA this year, any resource would be missed.
Charge, I think you brought up a great point that the other disaster relief organizations need to ramp up their capabilities in this time of increased deployment of the National Guard.
I'm not sure if Reservists have the same state mission responsibilities as the Guard. Maybe one of you knows.

Reservists have no state missions. They are only to re-enforce the active component. They have from time to time, however been "loaned" for state functions (i.e. engineer units in disaster relief). Of course you know this, Top, but for the benefit of less knowledgable folks tuning in, the Guard and Reserve are often collectively called "reservists" as both re-enforce the regulars, but strictly speaking the difference between units designated as "Reserve" and those as "National Guard" is that the Guard has a state committment and is directly controlled by the state's governor while the Reserve as I said has no such obligation. When Federalized, however, the Guard's control is directed by the President and not the governor.

they aren't being used correctly at all, these people just go on weekends for patriotism, we are supposed to use them just in case something like WWII happens again. the soldiers that are in the actual military are the ones that should be sent out. The reservist have lives and other jobs to do. plus, its hurting the recruitment because now people know we will send them out for some little war which we could handle with our professional military.

webs said:
they aren't being used correctly at all, these people just go on weekends for patriotism, we are supposed to use them just in case something like WWII happens again. the soldiers that are in the actual military are the ones that should be sent out. The reservist have lives and other jobs to do. plus, its hurting the recruitment because now people know we will send them out for some little war which we could handle with our professional military.

Nope sorry High Speed. The Guard and Reserve elements are being used within their Mission Statements. Each and everyone of them knew this.

these people just go on weekends for patriotism

Like you have any idea what the :cen: you're saying. How about this, sunshine? You actually serve and then you can make judgements of those who are serving.

Oh, and btw, the Guard and Reserve are in the "actual military". They pass the same tests, go to the same schools and must meet the same requirements as the full-timers.

webs said:

I might as well jump in on this one....

They are being used within the training and mission that every single one of the ARMY NG soldiers signed up for in their contracts. The same for the reserves, I have served active, reserve and as a guardsman, I knew my resposibility and made damn well sure my charges knew their responsibility. They are combat soldiers like every other unit, a little older, but still the same. The only difference in in a call up their needs to be a period of continous predeployment training. If it "hurting" recruitment, SO BE IT, those people didn't want to do the job in the first place, it is part of the contract, and everyone needs to remember to go into an enlistment EYES WIDE OPEN.

If it "hurting" recruitment, SO BE IT, those people didn't want to do the job in the first place, it is part of the contract, and everyone needs to remember to go into an enlistment EYES WIDE OPEN.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Web, if you really believe what you posted, then you don't have an understanding of what the Guard and Reserves are all about.
Here a sample of their mission.

During peacetime each state National Guard answers to the leadership in the 50 states, three territories and the District of Columbia. During national emergencies, however, the President reserves the right to mobilize the National Guard, putting them in federal duty status. While federalized, the units answer to the Combatant Commander of the theatre in which they are operating and, ultimately, to the President.

Even when not federalized, the Army National Guard has a federal obligation (or mission.) That mission is to maintain properly trained and equipped units, available for prompt mobilization for war, national emergency, or as otherwise needed.

The Army National Guard is a partner with the Active Army and the Army Reserves in fulfilling the country's military needs.

Find out more at http://www.arng.army.mil/about_us/protecting_our_world.asp

Just a fact I found out about today that surprised me and as it fits this thread I thought I'd post it. Did you know that 50% of all US forces in Iraq are National Guardsman? Something to think about when it comes to benefits and compensation matters.

Thanks for that info Charge. It never really made sense to me that there was such a disparity in benefits between active and reserve/guard troops. I guess I could understand it better when there were no wars being fought by so many reserve and guard units. Then again, even when there is no war, the reserve and guard people make themselves available for active duty whenever needed. That deserves consideration too.

Back