Research

playstation60

Hey guys,

I have a few questions I need answered. Someone I know claims to have been a part of our military yet things just don't add up. He'll turn 19 in January of 08, yet he says that the other winter (not last winter) he served 3 months in Iraq. When did the US start sending 17 year olds into war zones? What is the shortest tour a soldier can go through overseas, minus injury or death kind of thing?
Is there some way I can pull his military record?

A 3 month tour? Never heard of anything like it.
From what I know (other members here would know better) the current tour is about 15 months. I think before it used to be 8 months or something like that.
I heard the Air Force has a 4 month rotation cycle, but I don't know if that's just other deployments other than Iraq.

He claims to have been a part of the National Guard. Now he also says that his MOS was to fire a .50cal out of a black hawk.

It just doesn't add up. I can't see us sending a 17 year old that at that point in time not received a diploma or equivalent into a war zone for three months!

Obviously a fake.
.50 cals aren't on Blackhawks. And there's no MOS like a .50 cal gunner... on anything in fact.

Ask him what his MOS designator is. If he's branched Aviation it should be a 15 and what ever other letter. Course I don't know of any units NG wise doing 3 month turn arounds. Never seen a 50 on a hawk over there (not sayin that some units like maybe SOAR dont but I've never seen one) He wouldn't have had time to complete Basic and a 15 School at 17.

As a Machine gunner he'd fall into the 11b MOS and still no time to run the whole Benning Trail at 17. So yeah I call BS.

Has this POS claimed to have been awarded any medals? If so, which ones does he claim? As for his other claims, bull:cen:.

Chummy has to be BS'ing. Although I can't say anything about the whole MOS thing, the last time I checked, the UH-60 Blackhawk was armed with either Mini's or 7.62mm MGs and not .50 cal MGs.

Also, 17 does seem to be way too young to have already served a tour, even for just 3 months (which does seem to be a really short tour). And as USMC03 pointed out, if he was National Guard, he still wouldn't have done his Basic and MOS Quals by 17. It's Same thing here in Canada. Even if someone joined the Reserves at 16, while they might be close to being fully trained by 17, there'd be no chance they'd be deployment ready.

Definitely question him as to his MOS. If he's :cens:ing you, he most likely won't know.

I can see one of these "Secret Squirrels" here. Next he will be telling you his records are sealed and cannot be accessed because he was working on a Top Secret assignment, prolly with the Rangers or SEALS. Pbbbbttt!, Snort.

I can see one of these "Secret Squirrels" here. Next he will be telling you his records are sealed and cannot be accessed because he was working on a Top Secret assignment, prolly with the Rangers or SEALS. Pbbbbttt!, Snort.

Last I checked the USA will let those who wish, and have signed permission from a Parent or Guardian join at 17, but thats only to get Trained up, the Military still as far as I know doesn't deploy until 18 years old or more.

yeah, there is no chance at doing anything as he claims. now, i may not be in the armed forces, but that story smells kinda fishy.

Back