Request: On a Pale Horse By: Piers Anthony

Canadian Sergeant

I read this book in Post secondary school, as it was a requirement for the English Lit class I was taking. (I did some university classes, I was upgraded because of my abilities) and I cant seem to get the book off my mind. If I could find a copy, it would be great.
This is what the story is about:

This book tells the story of Zane, a young man whose life is on a downward spiral. After an unlucky experience with magic stones, he accidentally shoots Death. Then he is fated to take over the office and the accouterments of Death. He learns his new "job" mainly by doing it. As Death, it's his duty to personally collect the souls on the borderline between good and evil.

Zane is aided by his staff in Purgatory and his traveling companion Mortis, who can be a horse, a pale sedan, or even a motorboat. The other Incarnations of Immortality --- Fate, Time, War, Nature --- who also operate between God and Satan, offer him advice.

On his rounds, Zane meets a Magician and his daughter Luna.
Well that is about it, so if anyone can help me out, that would be great.

This may seem like a stupid question, but have you tried your local library? Even if they don't have it there, most libraries can poll from other libraries to see if they have the book and then it's loaned to your library for your use. I did this recently with some books by Patricia Kennealy I was looking for that are out of print. Had the books sent from another library in the state.

I dont even think that they have the book anymore. It was a fair while ago thatI read it, so i have no idea if it is still on the books......
I will try it and see if I can find it.

On A Pale Horse

There is an entire series by Piers Anthony called the "Incarnations of Immortality" of which "On A Pale Horse" is the first book. The complete series is:

Incarnations of Immortality series
-- On a Pale Horse (1983)
-- Bearing an Hourglass (1984)
-- With a Tangled Skein (1985)
-- Wielding a Red Sword (1986)
-- Being a Green Mother (1987)
-- For Love of Evil (1988)
-- And Eternity (1990)

You can find most of them on Amazon I think...if not try abebooks.com. It is a database of 1000s of used book shops that house the largest collection of books for sale I have ever seen. I have gotten most of the series there and the cool thing is that you can refine your search. I love this series so much that I have refined my parameters to search for 1st edition/1st print/signed copies...but you can just as easily ask it to search for paperbacks too. You can even set up a bot to search and email you when it finds what you are looking for.

Hope this helps and I hope you have the opportunity to read all 7 books. Piers Anthony is an exceptional writer and the way he ties all his characters together across all the books and years it took to write the series is awe inspiring.

Safe journeys :horsie:

~ Raie

p.s. sorry if posting the name of a company is against the rules, but I just didn't know any other way to get the info to you. :?

Back