Republic Of China Tests New Patriots

Missileer

This is not classified anymore.

Republic of China's Test Firings of Patriot Air and Missile Defense System a Success
TEWKSBURY, Mass., July 26, 2006 /PRNewswire/ -- The Republic of China(ROC) successfully destroyed two surrogate ballistic missiles with thePatriot Air and Missile Defense System during the Han Kuang militaryexercises conducted near Ilan in the northeast region of Taiwan. Thesuccessful firings, using Patriot Guidance Enhancement Missiles (GEM),reinforced the ROC air force's ability to conduct a live fire exercise in atactical environment against a realistic threat. The Taiwan military has an unblemished record of achievement in livefire exercises with the Patriot system. Taiwan was the first internationalPatriot customer to hold a tactical ballistic missile (TBM) live fireexercise outside the United States. In June 2001, the ROC militaryconducted two missions to test Patriot against a TBM target and an airbreathing threat. The missions were successful, with both targets destroyedby GEM missiles. In June 2004, the ROC military and Patriot successfullydestroyed a surrogate ballistic missile target, again with GEM missiles. Raytheon Integrated Defense Systems is the prime contractor for thePatriot system and the system integrator for the Configuration 2 and 3systems that include the affordable GEM missile. The Patriot Air andMissile Defense System is the world's most advanced ground-based airdefense system and is a cornerstone of the U.S. Army's integrated airdefense system. Patriot is a long-range, high-altitude, all-weather system designed todefeat advanced threats, including aircraft, tactical ballistic missiles,and cruise missiles. Combat proven during Operations Desert Storm and IraqiFreedom, Patriot can simultaneously engage multiple targets under the mostsevere electronic countermeasure conditions. Integrated Defense Systems is Raytheon's leader in Joint BattlespaceIntegration providing affordable, integrated solutions to a stronginternational and domestic customer base, including the U.S. MissileDefense Agency and the U.S. armed forces. Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN), with 2005 sales of $21.9 billion, is anindustry leader in defense and government electronics, space, informationtechnology, technical services, and business and special mission aircraft.With headquarters in Waltham, Mass., Raytheon employs 80,000 peopleworldwide.

Taiwan is the size of new jersey and they're defending against china, the size of the entire USA. They can be armed to the teeth with patriots, it won't do them any good. China keeps producing more modern missiles every year, they could easily overwhelm the small country's patriot systems. I don't think giving patriot missiles to various east asian countries is going to do the trick. I don't know what will, but that's really inadequate.

WarMachine said:
Taiwan is the size of new jersey and they're defending against china, the size of the entire USA. They can be armed to the teeth with patriots, it won't do them any good. China keeps producing more modern missiles every year, they could easily overwhelm the small country's patriot systems. I don't think giving patriot missiles to various east asian countries is going to do the trick. I don't know what will, but that's really inadequate.

I think it's a "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees" situation. Or they could hold off China until two or three American carrier battle groups show up.

Yeh, good counter to the new PRC AA missile that is rumored to incorporate Patriot technology bought from Israel.

Anyway, calm down folks, there's not going to be a war in that sector in the near future :)

I think this anti-secession law is the typical bluffing,because there is nothing new in this law. some old stuffs like protecting sovereignty or integrity are nothing but whole bunch of popaganda things which CCP's PR guy always talk about.it is so obvious that CCP just tried to threat some people in POC who are very favor of pro-independence not to make any moves by making this law. I don't believe PRC will attack one of their biggest economic benefactors unless they want to take a huge risk of losing everything they have right now. after people become rich, they will start to take their lifes and treasures much more serious.

Last edited:
Why don't they reach an agreement where taiwan is the most autonomous region of china for a while, then things can be changed? The only problem is that the taiwanese govt won't be chosen by its people anymore and that's one of the major reasons that taiwan is resisting any union. Maybe if the mainland becomes more democratized in the future it could happen, but not anytime soon.

I recall when Chiang Kai shek was in charge of taiwan, his military philosophy was always in favor of invading the mainland! My how times have changed.

Capitalism. Demand and Supply.
Or giveing/selling our allies the means to defend themselves from our enemies?
(happy momar :) - edit)

Last edited:
I think Taiwan would have to be armed to the teeth to defend against china at this point. China is the second largest spender on military items in the world and they are quickly modernizing their forces and gaining more and more international influence in the matter.

I think that taiwan should be independent if the people want that, but patriot missiles or anything else won't deter the mainland from getting taiwan back should a conflict arise. Obviously a military isn't going to work at all in the future, it's diplomacy and lots of it, reconciliation i suppose.

I think that taiwan should be independent if the people want that, but patriot missiles or anything else won't deter the mainland from getting taiwan back should a conflict arise.

And why wont it?

I think, in this context, giving is more like enabling the sale of, or permissing the opportunity for our allies to buy technology made by US companies that have contracts with the government. I could be wrong, but I do remember something about how Boeing (or was it Lockheed) wanted to sell some jet to another country, but the US govt stepped in and said no dice. I think this jurisdiction only applies to open contracts on new technology though. Wish I could find that story.

Rabs said:
Or giveing/selling our allies the means to defend themselves from our enemies?
(happy momar :) - edit)
l
but why the price is so freaking high, and why not just give taiwain these weapons for free or give them a huge discount? so that taiwanese can save some money to buy something special.

Last edited:
filmmaker said:
l
but why the price is so freaking high, and why not just give taiwain these weapons for free or give them a huge discount? so that taiwanese can save some money to buy something special.

Because here in the US we value the time and effort of our workers? As for the price, you pay for what you get.

ASTRALdragon said:
Because here in the US we value the time and effort of our workers? As for the price, you pay for what you get.
do you think there in taiwan people did't value the time and effort of their taxpayers, and what taiwanese got is what really they paid for? what a vague answer you give to me!

you didn't clearly answer my question about the high price, because you are still talking about Capitalism, Demand and Supply. the term of giving allies to defend themselves are just kind of beautiful words to use.
speaking of the price, of course, I know business is business. what i try to say is that there is no free bread at all , but the price has to be reasonable and fair.

in the case of taiwan's weapon purchase, the cost of NT$25 billion for getting 4 obsolete Kidd class destroyers from 1970's, plus the cost of maintenance, initiation of weaponry systems and related equipment, port reconstruction, logistics and personnel doesn't really suit this concept that you pay for what you get. this is not a weapon of selling,this is rip-off!

US tried twice in 1998 and 1999 to sell these four old kidd destroyers to Greece and Australia, but both of them turned down the offer due to this freaking high price. so, let me ask this do you think without CCP's threat taiwan will buy these four old military toys by paying freaking NT $ 25 billion? I just wonder where the concept that we are giving or selling our allies to defend themselves from their enemy is? no matter how unhappy and dissatisfied taiwanese feel about the age and prices of these weapons, they still have to restrain their feeling because US is the only country insisting to sell weapon to taiwain for purpose of self- denfence under china's extremely heavy protest. what taiwan really need is that they can pay fair and reasonable price to buy new and anvanced weapons for better self-defence.
so, I feel I have to point out that instead of wasting plenty of time to talk about how US should defend democacy in taiwain, US had better sell some good military stuffs to taiwain with good price.

Last edited:
Back