Republic Of China Tests New Patriots

--

July 31st, 2006  
Missileer

Topic: Republic Of China Tests New Patriots

This is not classified anymore.

Republic of China's Test Firings of Patriot Air and Missile Defense System a Success
TEWKSBURY, Mass., July 26, 2006 /PRNewswire/ -- The Republic of China(ROC) successfully destroyed two surrogate ballistic missiles with thePatriot Air and Missile Defense System during the Han Kuang militaryexercises conducted near Ilan in the northeast region of Taiwan. Thesuccessful firings, using Patriot Guidance Enhancement Missiles (GEM),reinforced the ROC air force's ability to conduct a live fire exercise in atactical environment against a realistic threat. The Taiwan military has an unblemished record of achievement in livefire exercises with the Patriot system. Taiwan was the first internationalPatriot customer to hold a tactical ballistic missile (TBM) live fireexercise outside the United States. In June 2001, the ROC militaryconducted two missions to test Patriot against a TBM target and an airbreathing threat. The missions were successful, with both targets destroyedby GEM missiles. In June 2004, the ROC military and Patriot successfullydestroyed a surrogate ballistic missile target, again with GEM missiles. Raytheon Integrated Defense Systems is the prime contractor for thePatriot system and the system integrator for the Configuration 2 and 3systems that include the affordable GEM missile. The Patriot Air andMissile Defense System is the world's most advanced ground-based airdefense system and is a cornerstone of the U.S. Army's integrated airdefense system. Patriot is a long-range, high-altitude, all-weather system designed todefeat advanced threats, including aircraft, tactical ballistic missiles,and cruise missiles. Combat proven during Operations Desert Storm and IraqiFreedom, Patriot can simultaneously engage multiple targets under the mostsevere electronic countermeasure conditions. Integrated Defense Systems is Raytheon's leader in Joint BattlespaceIntegration providing affordable, integrated solutions to a stronginternational and domestic customer base, including the U.S. MissileDefense Agency and the U.S. armed forces. Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN), with 2005 sales of $21.9 billion, is anindustry leader in defense and government electronics, space, informationtechnology, technical services, and business and special mission aircraft.With headquarters in Waltham, Mass., Raytheon employs 80,000 peopleworldwide.
July 31st, 2006  
Rabs

good work
July 31st, 2006  
sandy

Nice,and ROC is developping cruise missile.
--
August 2nd, 2006  
WarMachine

Taiwan is the size of new jersey and they're defending against china, the size of the entire USA. They can be armed to the teeth with patriots, it won't do them any good. China keeps producing more modern missiles every year, they could easily overwhelm the small country's patriot systems. I don't think giving patriot missiles to various east asian countries is going to do the trick. I don't know what will, but that's really inadequate.
August 4th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
Taiwan is the size of new jersey and they're defending against china, the size of the entire USA. They can be armed to the teeth with patriots, it won't do them any good. China keeps producing more modern missiles every year, they could easily overwhelm the small country's patriot systems. I don't think giving patriot missiles to various east asian countries is going to do the trick. I don't know what will, but that's really inadequate.
I think it's a "Better to die on your feet than live on your knees" situation. Or they could hold off China until two or three American carrier battle groups show up.
August 4th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Yeh, good counter to the new PRC AA missile that is rumored to incorporate Patriot technology bought from Israel.

Anyway, calm down folks, there's not going to be a war in that sector in the near future
August 4th, 2006  
sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar Deathstrike
Yeh, good counter to the new PRC AA missile that is rumored to incorporate Patriot technology bought from Israel.

Anyway, calm down folks, there's not going to be a war in that sector in the near future
I hope so,
but what does Anti-Secession Law?
Bluff?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Secession_Law_of_the_People's_Republic_of_China
August 4th, 2006  
filmmaker

I think this anti-secession law is the typical bluffing,because there is nothing new in this law. some old stuffs like protecting sovereignty or integrity are nothing but whole bunch of popaganda things which CCP's PR guy always talk about.it is so obvious that CCP just tried to threat some people in POC who are very favor of pro-independence not to make any moves by making this law. I don't believe PRC will attack one of their biggest economic benefactors unless they want to take a huge risk of losing everything they have right now. after people become rich, they will start to take their lifes and treasures much more serious.
August 9th, 2006  
WarMachine

Why don't they reach an agreement where taiwan is the most autonomous region of china for a while, then things can be changed? The only problem is that the taiwanese govt won't be chosen by its people anymore and that's one of the major reasons that taiwan is resisting any union. Maybe if the mainland becomes more democratized in the future it could happen, but not anytime soon.

I recall when Chiang Kai shek was in charge of taiwan, his military philosophy was always in favor of invading the mainland! My how times have changed.
August 9th, 2006  
jz

[QUOTE=I recall when Chiang Kai shek was in charge of taiwan, his military philosophy was always in favor of invading the mainland! My how times have changed.[/QUOTE]
that's because he is a Chinese.