Republic Of China Tests New Patriots

fingolfin361 said:
Yea, like i said, Capitalism, Demand and Supply.
but,it is not really precise to describe the taiwan's issue. the demind without any options will bring the supply with high price,

I hate to say it, but taiwan is militarily screwed in the future. China is going to get better and better weapons and taiwan can't keep buying expensive US goods. I bet you most american politicians just wished that taiwan would reunite with the mainland instead of having them as a thorn in their side with the prc.

Seriously though, taiwan is the size of a small US state, there's nothing realistically it can do for a long period of time against a large chinese attack.

Seriously though, taiwan is the size of a small US state, there's nothing realistically it can do for a long period of time against a large chinese attack.

Make it costly enough its not worth it.

WarMachine said:
I hate to say it, but taiwan is militarily screwed in the future. China is going to get better and better weapons and taiwan can't keep buying expensive US goods.
solution is simple. cut the price and give them a discount.

One of my granduncles lives in Taiwan with his big family. I ever asked his son about the TaiWan's indepenpence. He said that many Taiwan's normal people do not have much thoughts about it. He hopes their living is not changed so much no matter what happens.

From the military view, the dominace of Mainland will be more and more obvious no matter how many weapons TaiWan buy from the U.S.

That's what i've been saying, you guys have to face reality, taiwan cannot fight very long at all against china and the maximum amount of destruction taiwan can cause to china isn't even that great. If it did come down to a fight, which i don't think is going to happen, taiwan would probably always lose regardless of weapons and tactics. They would jsut be overwhelmed.

here's another comparison to a prc vs taiwan fight, soviet union versus hungary. Would you even consider hungary winning even if it had the latest western weapons at the time? Even if it were an island?

That's what i've been saying, you guys have to face reality, taiwan cannot fight very long at all against china and the maximum amount of destruction taiwan can cause to china isn't even that great. If it did come down to a fight, which i don't think is going to happen, taiwan would probably always lose regardless of weapons and tactics. They would jsut be overwhelmed.

here's another comparison to a prc vs taiwan fight, soviet union versus hungary. Would you even consider hungary winning even if it had the latest western weapons at the time? Even if it were an island?

No crap. The goal is not to stop the chinese its to delay them long enough for help to arrive (US and the Japs and maybe the aussies). I dont really think we have to worry about it though. China isnt going to mess with Taiwan and Taiwan isnt going to provoke China there just fine with the status quo.

The japanese would never be allowed to help the taiwanese. The ROC in Taiwan was founded by military men who spent decades fighting the japanese, even now their relations with japan are poor because of the shrine and textbook controversies. Not to mention that the SDF as it is now wouldn't be allowed to intervere in a neighbor's fight.

In the coming years i think the US would see losing taiwan as not a big problem except that so much of our advanced military equipment has been sold to them that it raises complexities. I really doubt that America would fight for taiwan at this point since that would pit us against one of our biggest trading partners and that would lead to all sorts of global economic crises that no one wants.

The PRC does want Taiwan back all the time, and taiwan doesn't want to unite with the mainland. This will probably end in diplomacy since it would be the surest way to keep the dealings between PRC and ROC favorable to both sides. China is growing year by year and i taiwan has become a diplomatic pariah to the world. It seems that they will eventually lose their sovereignity, but hopefully with their economy intact and maybe even a democratic institution left with it depending on the situation.

since USA is chinese biggest trading partners and japs is chinese second biggest trading partners , and I think taiwan is chinese fourth or fifth trading partners, it is really hard to imagine that china start to mess with all of his benefactors at same time.

filmmaker said:
do you think there in taiwan people did't value the time and effort of their taxpayers, and what taiwanese got is what really they paid for? what a vague answer you give to me!

you didn't clearly answer my question about the high price, because you are still talking about Capitalism, Demand and Supply. the term of giving allies to defend themselves are just kind of beautiful words to use.
speaking of the price, of course, I know business is business. what i try to say is that there is no free bread at all , but the price has to be reasonable and fair.

in the case of taiwan's weapon purchase, the cost of NT$25 billion for getting 4 obsolete Kidd class destroyers from 1970's, plus the cost of maintenance, initiation of weaponry systems and related equipment, port reconstruction, logistics and personnel doesn't really suit this concept that you pay for what you get. this is not a weapon of selling,this is rip-off!

US tried twice in 1998 and 1999 to sell these four old kidd destroyers to Greece and Australia, but both of them turned down the offer due to this freaking high price. so, let me ask this do you think without CCP's threat taiwan will buy these four old military toys by paying freaking NT $ 25 billion? I just wonder where the concept that we are giving or selling our allies to defend themselves from their enemy is? no matter how unhappy and dissatisfied taiwanese feel about the age and prices of these weapons, they still have to restrain their feeling because US is the only country insisting to sell weapon to taiwain for purpose of self- denfence under china's extremely heavy protest. what taiwan really need is that they can pay fair and reasonable price to buy new and anvanced weapons for better self-defence.
so, I feel I have to point out that instead of wasting plenty of time to talk about how US should defend democacy in taiwain, US had better sell some good military stuffs to taiwain with good price.

So, what you're saying is that the US is selling overpriced weapons to Taiwan? I have no idea how much Kidd-class destroyers or AEGIS-equipped destroyers are worth so bear with me. If the US is overcharging their own allies, then that's not cool at all. If it is the true value of those ships, then good. If Taiwan wanted to buy cheaper equipment, then I guess they could buy Russian stuff through third party seeing as how Russia is allied with China and China wouldn't be too thrilled about Russia selling Taiwan weapons. Would they want to risk American-made products for Russian-made ones? I don't know, but the news says obviously not.

ASTRALdragon said:
So, what you're saying is that the US is selling overpriced weapons to Taiwan? I have no idea how much Kidd-class destroyers or AEGIS-equipped destroyers are worth so bear with me. If the US is overcharging their own allies, then that's not cool at all. If it is the true value of those ships, then good. If Taiwan wanted to buy cheaper equipment, then I guess they could buy Russian stuff through third party seeing as how Russia is allied with China and China wouldn't be too thrilled about Russia selling Taiwan weapons. Would they want to risk American-made products for Russian-made ones? I don't know, but the news says obviously not.

where are these russian stuffs coming from?

Back